Allow instrument tracks for multi-out VSTi's

msmcleod

I find having separate MIDI/Audio tracks for a single synth part cumbersome, so for the most part I use simple instrument tracks. However, currently you can only make an instrument track if the VSTi is configured as a single stereo output.

It would be good to be able to make an instrument track out of any two MIDI / Audio tracks assigned to the same synth, as long as the synth's audio output hasn't been used elsewhere.

So if I have a synth with 4 stereo outs (outputs A,B,C,D):

• Track 1: Audio Track - input Synth Out A  could be combined with Track 2: MIDI track
  • Track 3: Audio Track - input Synth Out B could be combined with Track 4: MIDI track
  • Track 5: Audio Track - input Synth Out C could be combined with Track 6: MIDI track
  • Track 7: Audio Track - input Synth Out D could be combined with Track 8: MIDI track

Alternatively (or even additionally), having synth audio tracks shown in a separate bus-style area would help to make the main tracks less cluttered. 

What I had in mind was that when you expand the buses on the track view, there would be two tabs at the bottom: "Bus" and  "Synth"

The Bus tab would show the buses as it does now, where as the Synth tab would show the synth output audio tracks.  A folder would be automatically created for the corresponding synth in the synth-rack:

trackview_bustab.pngtrackview_synthtab.png

• Like 1

I prefer the separate MIDI/Audio tracks but minimize them and close down to the main header when I'm not working on them. I can fill the Track View with quite a few tracks 😉

I also like MIDI editing MIDI tracks, audio editing audio tracks...and for kicks I can copy and paste MIDI bits to other MIDI tracks. How does that stuff work with Simple Instrument tracks, it always seemed obtuse to me...but different strokes as they say!

Bill