32bit plugins problems 2020.01 build 24(64bits)

FJ Lamela

Greetings. Something very strange has happened to me. Without having changed anything, without having touched anything, cakewalk has stopped recognizing several 32-bit plugins that I have installed and I have been using without any problems until today, among them pro53 of Native instuments, and " vanguard of Refx. I have tried several solutions, including resetting the vst, rescanning, rescanning the failed ones, but none of this has worked. Cakewalk has stopped recognizing the 32bits plugins. I have tested with other software and recognizes these plugins without problems.

What could have happened ?, Any suggestions apart from the mentioned ?.
Thank you

PS: As far as windows 10 has not done any update.
I am currently on windows10 1809 64 bits.
PS: They have been working with the cakewalk bridge, I have not been using adapters or anything like that.

I've made this test.

I install 2019.12. build 26 and i Make a a scanning  from cakewalk (not plugin manager).all my 32 bits plugins (inside c:/vst32/) are detected.Works perfect.

I install 2020.01 build 24 and make the same,scanning from cakewalk (not plugin manager).Cakewalk say 321 plugins 0 add,7 removed!!!.Something dont work!.

I repeated the same procedure 3 times and 3 times occurs the same problem.

Thanks in advance!

• FJ Lamela changed the title to 32bit plugins problems 2020.01 build 24(64bits)
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 9:03 AM, FJ Lamela said:

I've made this test.

I install 2019.12. build 26 and i Make a a scanning  from cakewalk (not plugin manager).all my 32 bits plugins (inside c:/vst32/) are detected.Works perfect.

I install 2020.01 build 24 and make the same,scanning from cakewalk (not plugin manager).Cakewalk say 321 plugins 0 add,7 removed!!!.Something dont work!.

I repeated the same procedure 3 times and 3 times occurs the same problem.

Thanks in advance!

Option 1) Temporarily rename your VST32 folder, to something that doesn't start with VST3 - the new logic that was added to skip scanning of the Common Files\VST3 folder for VST2 plugins, currently comes up with a partial match when it sees a folder that starts with VST3 - like your VST32 folder.  I have the exact same name for my VST32 folder.  They are working on some kind of fix to that new scanning logic, so that this issue goes away, so whenever they publish that fix, you should be golden, and in the meantime, just renaming your VST32 folder until then, should fix you up instantly.

Option 2) Noel published a VSTscan.exe version with corrected logic, in another thread, quite quickly actually, after this scan logic bug was discovered.  I have the link posted below,  to the post from Noel, which has a download link for that VSTscan.exe version. 

I would suggest you first rename the current vstscan.exe (it lives in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities folder) to something like vstscanOLD.exe, and then download the newly-published corrected vstscan.exe from this link, and move it to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities.

Here is the link to Noel's post, with the download link for the corrected vstscan.exe:  Post with corrected vstscan.exe download link from Noel

Bob Bone

6 minutes ago, HIBI said:

Already this issue has been fixed in the latest update (2020.01 build 28 hotfix).

You are correct - the last time I had checked, the original hotfix you refer to had accidentally not included the corrected vstscan.exe version, but I just checked, and they look like they updated things on Feb 24, but the explanation is a bit murky on whether the build now contains the updated vstscan, or if users have to follow the link in the updated section for the hotfix, to get that corrected vstscan.

Here is the text from the hotfix thread post, explaining that:

"Update Feb 24 2020:

Folders with 'VST3' as part of the name ('VST32', etc.) are treated as VST3 folders and fail to scan VST2 plug-ins.

Note: If you installed the Build 26.01.0.28 hotfix prior to February 24, 2020, it did not include the updated VST scanner. To get the latest VST scanner, download it from here , then copy the VstScan.exe file to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities. Lastly, perform a VST scan in Cakewalk (Edit > Preferences > File - VST Settings)."

SO, @FJ Lamela, the explanation on the thread for the Current Release 2020.01 Build 28 thread is a little confusing to me, with regard to the correction of the hotfix, so if you are running the most current release (2020.01 Build 28), and still having your issues, you may not have the corrected vstscanplease, and there is a link in that post, for the corrected vstscan.

I apologize for any confusion - either from me, or from the thread's explanation of the fixed hotfix :)

Here is the link to the Current Release 2020.01 Build 28 thread: Current Release 2020.01 [Updated Feb 24]

Bob Bone

• Like 1

Update Feb 24 2020:

• Folders with 'VST3' as part of the name ('VST32', etc.) are treated as VST3 folders and fail to scan VST2 plug-ins.

Note: If you installed the Build 26.01.0.28 hotfix prior to February 24, 2020, it did not include the updated VST scanner. To get the latest VST scanner, download it from here , then copy the VstScan.exe file to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities. Lastly, perform a VST scan in Cakewalk (Edit > Preferences > File - VST Settings).

^^^ This is very important!  Thanks for mentioning @Robert Bone

Edited by HIBI
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

Just rename your folder VSTx32. 

Yup - that was the 1st option I suggested, renaming that VST32 folder temporarily, until the corrected VstScan program is brought in, with the next update.  That would give instant resolution to the issues - option 2 in my earlier post, is also viable, OP's choice.

Bob Bone