Solo Override - is there a way to make that set and forget like in other daws?

LarsF

Noticed that you have to set effect busses to solo override at every occasion you are to solo anything.

Then remove when done - or those are soloed disregarding if anything is soloed normally.

Solo Safe and Solo Excempt and what it's called, I usually could set and forget - it does not solo anything, just set permanently and you don't have to think about it.

But there are many settings in these config files as I learned, is there anything to change this?

Thanks.

• 8 months later...

I keep coming back to solo issues.

It' so easy to set up Solo Override in so many other daws, what you know is effect busses, metronome etc and never have to deal with it again.

But in Cakewalk Solo Override activates solo on that track.

So you always have to set up and then remove with any solo thingy you are about to do. Serves no purpose IMO.

You can just use solo if you have to redo every time.

All other implementations I found it is just there if you do ordinary solo on any other track too.

Thanks.

No special settings anywhere for this to work like in most daws?

@LarsF,

I am not familiar with how many other DAWs differ from how Cakewalk.  What DAWs, or DAWs, do you have in mind when you say

On 10/11/2020 at 5:28 AM, LarsF said:

It' so easy to set up Solo Override in so many other daws

On 10/11/2020 at 5:28 AM, LarsF said:

All other implementations I found it is just there if you do ordinary solo on any other track too.

Can you describe how you would like Solo Safe, Solo Exempt and Solo Override to work so I can better understand your questions?

Ok, thanks, so I explained badly.

Cubase, Reaper and StudioOne. And just trialed Digital Performer, but it was there too. As I understand Logic Pro too, on Mac then(just googled quickly).

Logic Pro

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57298

- on the effect busses you have you activate solo override(or whatever they called it)

- but it does not solo by itself, it's just there prepared for when you later on want to solo some tracks or busses

- so creating a new effect bus you just activate this and forget about it.

So when eventually do solo on a track, this track is soloed, and the solo override you made before does not get muted

This is what I call set and forget. They are there and does not bother you until you Solo a track or Bus.

In Cakewalk as soon as you do Solo override on a bus - it solos this bus????

It has the same effect as doing solo itself - so it serves no purpose.

So you have to go through possible effect busses and solo them, as well as any other track you want soloed - every time you want to solo a single track.

Then not wanting solo the track anymore, you have to undo the solo on the effect busses too - every time.

I mean this is the idea behind solo override(solo safe, solo exempt) - to just set those you don't want muted when soloing one or a couple of other tracks. Like you do for recording, and using DimOnSolo - you solo those you record to stay more in front, but to get effect busses you want non-muted you have to fiddle with that soloing them as well - every time.

I see no difference between Solo and SoloOverride as it is now - since SoloOverride is soloing that bus immediately.

There are other weirdness with Solo in Cakewalk, and nothing works eventually in a project while working, but closing and opening again fix that.

So something about Solo needs some attention in Cakewalk, I think. I am trying to collect reproduce procedure to report later.

But some things like regarding if to have sends muted when track is muted has settings in ini-files. You can configure how you want that.

So thought maybe something is there regarding this SoloOverride too.

But it might be just something broken regarding this SoloOverride or I am missing something.

• Great Idea 1

Thanks, yes I tend to use too many words.

I did send an email to support yesterday and reported what I believe is the essential content of it all.
- what is happening
- what you expect
Most obvious is that activating solo override, does not solo anything by itself - on other daws.

To test

Protools call it solo safe.
Cubase call it solo defeat.
Reaper call it solo defeat
StudioOne call it Solo Save.

Very handy to just set any effect busses you create to solo override, you can solo any track and if sends to a effect bus that sounds too.
Saves a lot of clicks every time you want to solo something.
Time saver for sure.

There is some setting link prefader send to mute or similar i aud.ini, and to alter standard behavior of solo override could be done in a similar way, if they consider it as intended as it is now.

@LarsF, I watched a video that demonstrates the Solo Save feature in Presonus StudioOne.

So, as I understand it you are asking for the option of associated track and buss Solo buttons to mimic ON / OFF operation, is that correct?

Background:  Tracks TK1 (background vocal left), TK2 (background vocal right) & TK3 (lead vocal) send to busses Reverb 1 and Delay 1.  TK1 & TK2 have Solo Save with Reverb 1 while TK3 has Solo Save with Reverb 1 and Delay 1.

Example:  Enable Solo on TK1 or TK2 and TK3 + Delay 1 mutes.  Enable Solo on TK3 and the background vocals mute.  Enable Solo on Reverb 1 and delay 1 mutes.  Enable Solo on Delay 1 and reverb 1 mutes.  Background vocal tracks solo button operation is linked to each other and to the solo button of Reverb 1 but not to the solo button of the lead vocal track or Delay 1.  At the same time the lead vocal button is linked to the solo buttons of both the reverb and delay buss but not to the operation of the solo buttons on the background vocal tracks.

I support your request if I've described the feature as you desire,

On 10/12/2020 at 8:34 PM, LarsF said:

So you have to go through possible effect busses and solo them, as well as any other track you want soloed - every time you want to solo a single track.

When I solo a track that has a send to a bus I don't have to solo the bus as well to hear it's signal.  For example if I solo  a vocal track with a send to a reverb bus I can hear the vocal and the reverb, I don't have to solo the reverb bus to hear the reverb.

On 10/12/2020 at 8:34 PM, LarsF said:

I see no difference between Solo and SoloOverride as it is now - since SoloOverride is soloing that bus immediately.

Solo Override seems to work correctly for regular tracks, but not for busses or aux tracks.  Solo Override should not solo a track/aux track/ bus, that makes no sense.  It should only prevent the muting of a track/aux track/bus when something else is soloed.  However it seems busses do not mute when tracks/aux tracks are soloed so there is no need to engage Solo Override on them. That being said there are definitely issues with Solo Override when pertaining to busses and aux tracks.  

Thanks guys.
I'm not looking for anything other than fixing an anomali in Cakewalk Solo Override compared to any other daws with this solo defeat/safe/save/exempt that exist.
It's very useful feature when you can set and forget - and it does not work this way in Cakewalk.

There are some strange Solo behavior that appear in some session after an hour or so, where nothing solo works - and restarting Cakewalk fixes it.
Suddenly no sound on busses unless soloing them as well etc.
But much harder to track down enough to assist Bakers how to reproduce.

So just focused on Solo Override for now.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...