windows update broke cakewalk (fixed)

Richard

Question

i just got the recent LARGE windows update and cakewalk broke. i could open and click play on a project but once play was hit, no sound came out and you could not stop or pause. also you could rewind FF and shuttle around but still no sound and no way to stop. since i couldn't stop i couldn't close without using task manager. i went to reinstall cakewalk in the bandlab app and nothing happened. i uninstalled cakewalk, the instruments, theme editor, and drum replacer. i went to uninstall melodyne and windows block me from using the msi that uninstalls it. i cleaned my registry. restarted and went to install cakewalk just and cakewalk with the addons and it keeps timing out with a downloading 0/1  or 0/3 pulsing text.

this fixed itself on the fifth time of trying to reinstall

Edited by Richard
FIXED

1 answer to this question

The Windows update broke Cakewalk by Bandlab probably because the update attempted to update the driver for your audio interface.

This is something I have configured my Windows to never to.  I do install all Windows updates, however, I like to update drivers by going to the manufacturer's website and downloading and installing manually.  That way, I know I am getting the correct driver, not one that Microsoft believes I should have.