No sound but had sound before

Rick Greenier

I am totally new to DAW's.  I downloaded Bandlab, and set up a couple of tracks. It sounded just fine. The next day, I went into my tracks, and they played, but there was NO sound from my computer any more. I output to a surround sound system. Help told me to look for the "monitoring" icon, as this must be set on. I couldn't find the Monitoring icon. Also, Do I need some equipment that I don't know about? I checked my media using windows media. works fine. Output bar near speaker icon, shows it is playing sound.

Edited by Rick Greenier
additional info.

Hi Rick . . . what sound card / audio interface are you using . . . or, are you using just the mother board default on board audio ?

Sounds like windows is finding the audio, but Cakewalk is not.  Can you define what " I output to a surround sound system" actually is regarding the sound source ?

I have a sound card, not sure what it is. I think it is a problem interfacing with the cakewalk app.  It works sometimes, but only a couple. It started working again when I rebooted cakewalk about 20 times. However, the same result when I went in again, no sound. I am puzzled. I want to write just one song that I have in my mind. Would really appreciate ANY help I can get get. No idea what I am doing wrong.

I did the following artwork a couple of days ago, but thought I was overthinking your issue--surely others here will be able to help problem-solve the issue without complicated images.  So, for what it's worth, here it is.  I still have no idea from the discussion where you see sound and where you don't.

BTW, there are other places to see sound, such as on track meters, but those should be reflected in the Console.  Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure this will help, but I was inspired by your situation to do a little artwork. I had no idea what " . . . they played but there was NO SOUND from my computer . . . " means. If they played, to me there should have been sound and the audio path should have shown a visual representation of the sound at several points along the chain.  

image.thumb.png.401b5c3bd596c4fee67edd2caada9447.png        image.thumb.png.e38d52b49e22c54945c83265a914bb0c.png 

image.thumb.png.4d2a963d7b3bb0433ca805c204738a67.png

Edited by User 905133
to make images smaller
  • Like 1