URGENT HELP - jBridged plugins vanished: Uptate - workaround found

Robert Bone

7 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Hey Noel - Maybe the new logic is getting a partial name match because both of our folders have VST3 in their naming (full folder names are VST32)?

@Noel Borthwick I believe this is the answer.

I checked VST2-Plugins.dll with some folder names below.

• VST32 <- Not scanned
  • VST3456 <- Not scanned
  • Plugins VST32 <- be scanned

Should be skip .dll files only under C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

Edited by HIBI
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, HIBI said:

@Noel Borthwick I believe this is the answer.

I checked VST2-Plugins.dll with some folder names below.

• VST32 <- Not scanned
  • VST3456 <- Not scanned
  • Plugins VST32 <- be scanned

Should be skip .dll files only under C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

Yup - this is consistent with the theory I posted on the 1st page of the thread - that being that the logic they added to skip scanning of VST2 plugins contained in the VST3 folder from Common Files, is getting a positive, but PARTIAL match when it sees a parent folder name starting with the characters 'VST3' (likely not sensitive to capitals), so because of that partial match, it seems to completely ignore anything within that folder or its sub-folders, when it is looking for VST2 plugins.

So, @HIBI, your testing would match my premise on the partial match, and THANKS for jumping in to help what I believe confirms what was/is causing my 3rd-party 32-bit plugins to be completely ignorned.

@Noel Borthwick, I hope this all gives you a good idea of what might warrant a tweak in that logic.  :)

To @User 905133 - I happened to choose to name my VST2 plugins directories, VST64, for 64-bit plugins in 'Program Files', and VST32, for 32-bit plugins in 'Program Files (x86)'.  During install of any particular plugins, whenever possible, I alter their default path to either VST32 or VST64.  This is NOT a requirement of any sort - I just prefer shorter full path lengths.

Bob Bone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Menu Magic is cool for backing up VST registry stuff.  Don't know if it will continue to work, but it is easy.  It saved me when I installed a new hard drive. I think it was some copy protected VSTs that just would not work from backup.  Menu Magic fixed it!  Don't know how or why that worked.

Glad HIBI found this!

Max Arwood

Hi @Robert Bone @FJ Lamela and others who had this issue. 

Please try out this version of VST scanner. I've updated the logic so that it is more specific about the VST3 folder rather than just checking for VST3,
It will now only look at the standard VST3 folders under Program files or Program Files (x86). Also it wont get tripped up by names like VST32.

You will need to copy that file into C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities and then scan again. 
Let me know if it fixes the issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, HIBI said:

@Noel Borthwick I did test with some folder names and locations. It's works well.
Seems new VST scanner skips only .dll files located "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3".

Thanks. I got ready to test, and got sidelined by a friend with a CbB project mess that needed some love. He is OK now. I too will test, in about 5 minutes.

Bob Bone 

I am testing it now - having some strange results and want to do more thorough testing.

1) My system keeps popping p a screen, for each plugin it seems to be processing, giving me the option of getting the app (VSTScan) from the Microsoft Store, or running it anyways.  I had to keep hitting enter as it was dispaying the message for the handful of plugins it was rescanning.

2) I will be redoing my testing, as I want to make sure all that should be scanned are being scanned, and that only the single 32-bit plugin I have in the path I added to Preferences, is actually added.  I am rerunning the testing, because I got some different counts in the Toaster popup messages than I was expecting.

3) I will also be testing the VST3 skipping logic - by adding a VST2 plugin into the Common Files\VST3 path, which should ignore it, in addition to testing the processing of a single 32-bit plugin added to a path that I first had added to Prefereces VST Settings - C:\Program Files (x86)\VST32\VSTSCANTEST32

3) I will post back details of my testing findings, when I complete my run throughs and analysis of the results.

Bob Bone

16 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi @Robert Bone @FJ Lamela and others who had this issue. 

Please try out this version of VST scanner. I've updated the logic so that it is more specific about the VST3 folder rather than just checking for VST3,
It will now only look at the standard VST3 folders under Program files or Program Files (x86). Also it wont get tripped up by names like VST32.

You will need to copy that file into C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities and then scan again. 
Let me know if it fixes the issue.

Hi Noel.I've installed the new version of vst scanner and....IT WORKS!!!!

The 32bits plugins are now recognised again and all work as expected.

Thanks a lot for your help and support.

Greetings from Spain!.

• Like 1

I’m glad this is fixed. Just last week I decided to get organized and move plugins to-

common.......

vst2

vst3

and vst32.  

Fortunately I hadn’t started moving any plug-ins the VST32 yet lol. Squashed the bug before I even got there!  I LOVE all the bug squashing that has been going on!  

Cakewalk user base WILL grow because of this dedication. 

Thanks for pre-squashing the bug!

1 hour ago, Max Arwood said:

I’m glad this is fixed. Just last week I decided to get organized and move plugins to-

common.......

vst2

vst3

and vst32.  

Fortunately I hadn’t started moving any plug-ins the VST32 yet lol. Squashed the bug before I even got there!  I LOVE all the bug squashing that has been going on!  

Cakewalk user base WILL grow because of this dedication. 

Thanks for pre-squashing the bug!

Good news, indeed - I still have some testing to do for it, got tied up last night and today.  Will do in the mid-day tomorrow and give feedback to Noel and company.