Video playback start - how do I set that to 8s into timeline?

LarsF

Hi

Just installed 2020.1 as my first install, migrating from Sonar Artist 2015.

Just getting the grayed field for video to enter an offset into timeline where start offset is, thought it was limitation on Sonar Artist.

Same thing i properties dialog.

Installing Cakewalk this field is still gray.

It is mentioned in help and reference manual and says nothing why it might not be available.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Thank you, perfect.

I'll see if any performance differences, I really don't notice I run video even now - very smooth.

If so, I can render a preview  video with 8s black frame in front.

Just didn't get why it was disabled.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 7:38 AM, scook said:

It is a limitation of the Media Foundation engine. Switching to the old DirectShow engine enables the feature.

To switch the video engine, see https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Troubleshooting.08.html

I too am having (have always has) issues with changing the Trim in and out functions for editing with video. I have edited the Config file exactly as outlined in the above linked article, adding

"[Video]

VideoEngine=0"

(without quotes) in my text editor, saving the edited Aud.ini file, reloading the config settings, hitting Apply, even re-saving the project and closing and re-opening CW. And still the video remains with the default Media Foundation engine and my playback issues remain problematic.

I can confirm the edited Aud.ini file opening in a text editor again, but there is no indication in the Preferences/Audio/Configuration File window's Properties area of any video settings, either before or after adding the above lines. I'm not sure if anything should appear there or not.

Is there a specific location within that text file where these lines should be placed? I have placed mine at the end, at the beginning, and within the body of the text between other [bracketed] sections, as well as including and alternately non including the line-break between the lines as shown in the documentation - all to no effect.

19 minutes ago, scook said:

The position in the ini file should not matter.

When VideoEngine is set to 0 CbB tries using the DirectShow engine but if it cannot load the file it will automatically fall back to the Media Foundation engine.

What could be the cause of it not being able to load?

From https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013355/SONAR-X3d-Update

As of SONAR X3d, SONAR’s video engine defaults to using Microsoft’s Media Foundation framework, rather than DirectShow. This fundamentally improves the way video files are loaded, played, edited and exported in SONAR. Media Foundation generally supports most older formats supported by DirectShow as well as many newer formats such as H264 video. A full list of media formats supported by Media Foundation can be found here

As a result of this change, a large number of long-standing bugs and limitations with importing videos and video playback have been resolved. For backwards compatibility, SONAR's video engine can still be switched to use the DirectShow engine. More information on switching SONAR's video engine can be found here.

With X3e and newer (including CbB) the VideoEngine sets the default engine but when DirectShow encounters an unsupported format the DAW falls back to the Media Foundation engine.