[SOLVED] Auto Crossfade not working like I expect

Christian Jones

So in Track View under Options I check Auto Crossfade. Then in a single track (a Take Lane actually, but shouldn't matter I don't think) I have an audio clip and I split the clip into two, still on the same track. Then, when I go to stretch the edge of the right clip to overlap the edge of the left clip the left clip will do the auto crossfade like I expect for just that portion of the clip where it got overlapped, but the clip on the right whose edge I had dragged over onto the left clip - the fade on that clip ends up fading the whole length of the clip rather than just the portion that overlapped with the left clip. Why is that happening and how do I get the auto crossfade to do its thing only on the overlapped portions of the clips? 

Edited by Christian Jones

When I have seen this it is because there is a clip underneath one of them. It is not obvious but it seems to occur from recording multiple takes and then not selecting/swiping one of them before editing in the track.  In the take lanes when you split a clip by swiping it should already create a cross fade with the next active take.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, reginaldStjohn said:

When I have seen this it is because there is a clip underneath one of them. It is not obvious but it seems to occur from recording multiple takes and then not selecting/swiping one of them before editing in the track. 

Hmm, well maybe it does matter that I happen to be trying to do this in a Take Lane where it is one of many take lanes and Cakewalk is probably viewing all the other clips in the take lanes below it has essentially being "underneath" the clip on the take lane I'm working with. Usually when you highlight a given take lane it focuses it on the parent track, and probably I didn't highlight the clips when I was trying to do this. 

44 minutes ago, reginaldStjohn said:

In the take lanes when you split a clip by swiping it should already create a cross fade with the next active take.

How do you split a clip by swiping? I haven't heard of that. I usually just hold down alt and a pair of scissors appear and lets me cut/split the clip. Or if I have several clips highlighted it will split them all simultaneously in the same spot, and I can swipe up or down to highlight however many clips prior to that - probably that's what you mean? 

Yeah Cakewalk will automatically apply a fade at the end of a clip after you split it, but I think auto crossfade may be a little more precise When you want to fade overlapping regions in a specific way. I'm not at the daw now but your probably right that it's the other clips in the take lanes below the take lane I'm working in that's making the fade behave this way. Thanks 

2 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

When I have seen this it is because there is a clip underneath one of them.

Yep, you were right. Just tried it in one of the many take lanes I have clips on on a track and as long as I highlight the clip in the take lane that I'm working with Cakewalk will focus that clip onto the parent track and ignore all the other clips in the take lanes above/below it and will then perform the cross-fade as expected. So it appears that, if you're working in take lanes where there are other clips in other take lanes on the same track you *must* highlight the clip or else Cakewalk sees all those other clips in the other take lanes as being stacked on/underneath one another and it messes up the cross-fade function.

• Christian Jones changed the title to [SOLVED] Auto Crossfade not working like I expect
  • 4 months later...
15 hours ago, rejkmackan said:

What do you mean by "highlight the clip". When I use auto crossfade and have multiple clips in take lanes it easily becomes a mess, see video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_X1OXrK2kEEz87Nzm6dHjCgzAuZ2nGx6/view?usp=sharing

Looks to me like you're using the wrong tool to adjust the crossfade positions.

In your video you're using the crop tool, and the results look as I'd expect. Better to use the crossfade move tool.

This is the default tool when hovering over the crossfade in take lanes. In the comp clip however, hold down shift:

crop_vs_crossfademove.gif

Well, my main purpose for utilizing the auto cross fade is actually to be able to easily move clips to adjust timing. And in that case the move crossfade tool doesn't help. Don't think I'm the only one getting the behavior in the video below since it  happens every time you move a clip with auto crossfade activated (when you have data in take lanes, that is).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FxNnuOuXvE6o1Mpjx-vkuX90CQKnR0lB/view?usp=sharing

And the end result, looking at the take lanes doesn't make any sense any way, like it is now. Would be much better if it disregarded all muted clips instead of like now, pick one of the muted clips and use it in the calculation of the crossfade, and disregard the others. Pause the video at 0:14 and study the result.

3 hours ago, rejkmackan said:

Well, my main purpose for utilizing the auto cross fade is actually to be able to easily move clips to adjust timing. And in that case the move crossfade tool doesn't help. Don't think I'm the only one getting the behavior in the video below since it  happens every time you move a clip with auto crossfade activated (when you have data in take lanes, that is).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FxNnuOuXvE6o1Mpjx-vkuX90CQKnR0lB/view?usp=sharing

And the end result, looking at the take lanes doesn't make any sense any way, like it is now. Would be much better if it disregarded all muted clips instead of like now, pick one of the muted clips and use it in the calculation of the crossfade, and disregard the others. Pause the video at 0:14 and study the result.

The reason the muted clips are included is to facilitate fast comping, enabling you to mute/unmute various parts of your comp knowing that the crossfade position is consistent across all lanes.

splitcomp1.gif

If you want to move the position of the clip while keeping the cross fades, you could use the slip editing tool:

splitcomp2.gif

NOTE - you want to make sure snap is off when doing this.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hey so once upon a time my comping autocrossfade function was working as the video describes above but not anymore. My autocrossfade option is on, doesnt make a difference. When i split the clips in each lane, the tool looks exactly like the ones in the video upon splitting but ZERO crossfade occurs. Anyone know if cakewalk added a disable feature for autocrossfade during comping?

12 hours ago, Joshua A Recinos said:

Hey so once upon a time my comping autocrossfade function was working as the video describes above but not anymore. My autocrossfade option is on, doesnt make a difference. When i split the clips in each lane, the tool looks exactly like the ones in the video upon splitting but ZERO crossfade occurs. Anyone know if cakewalk added a disable feature for autocrossfade during comping?

First check auto-crossfade is actually enabled:

image.png.125a74cacbc83a52b11960085c03a9f2.png

Second, check your auto-crossfade times in preferences:

image.png.ac68899a3b64cf3a340d3b193ca8e916.png

Lastly, currently auto-crossfades only work for splitting when using the mouse tool (i.e. ALT + left click).  Using the "S" shortcut to split doesn't auto-crossfade - this has been fixed for the next CbB update.