Crackling When Screen Updates

Anthony Newett

Question

Hi,

I switched from Sonar to Cakewalk.  I've been very happy with the transition.

I use Focusrite Clarett 8PreUSB.  I recently got a new PC, as my mother board just suddenly died.  I got a very high-end gaming PC (I know... I know... I'm reading that this wasn't necessary, and maybe even problematic in some ways).  The processor is very fast, and I have 32G of RAM.  Running like a clock, EXCEPT, whenever I move the screen in any way with my mouse, the audio crackles.  I HATE IT!  I don't know what to do.

I have went through THREADS AND THREADS of posts with similar issues, but the posts are old and many of the suggestions aren't even applicable to the latest version of Windows 10.

HELP!

Anthony Newett

I had a similar issue.  Anytime I opened a plugin with animated graphics, Like a Kontakt Instrument, I would get crackling and stuttering.  After using latency mon, contacting Nvidia support and trying all sorts of optimizations I eventually just tried some other video cards, AMD Radeon, and it fixed the issues.

GPU - AMD Radeon RX 5700 - Primary/Discrete
VRAM - 8176 MB - GDDR6 1750 MHz
Graphics Card Manufacturer - Built by AMD
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon RX 5700
Device ID - 731F
Vendor ID - 1002
SubSystem ID - 0B36
SubSystem Vendor ID - 1002
Revision ID - C4
Bus Type - PCI Express 4.0
Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 4.0 x16
BIOS Version - 017.001.000.042
BIOS Part Number - 113-D1820201-101
BIOS Date - 2019/06/16 22:32
Usable Memory Size - 8176 MB
Memory Type - GDDR6
Memory Clock - 1750 MHz
Core Clock - 1625 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth - 448 GByte/s
Memory Bit Rate - 14.00 Gbps
2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000
OpenGL® API Version - 4.6
OpenCL™ API Version - 2.0

Are you using a wired mouse?

Is there are way to temporarily turn off power saving on the RX 5700 to see if this is the issue?

Are you using high performance mode on Windows 10?

Could you temporarily remove the RX 5700 and use the motherboard's onboard video to see if the problem goes away?

Have you turned off performance graphic oprions?  Start + Run > systempropertiesperformance > Adjust for best performance

Have you set CPU min and Max to 100%  Start + Run > control powercfg.cpl,,1  .It's under under processor power management.

Wireless mouse.  Disconnected and switched to wired.  Same problem.

Don't know about power saving with my video card.

High Performance mode, yes.

Have not tried alternate video driver (motherboard).

I have enabled "adjust for best performance" in systempropertiesperformance.  No difference.

I can't seem to get into powercfg.exe.

Here's another clue that may be helpful.  While cakewalk is running (playing a mix), the crackles only happen if I manipulate one of cakewalk's screens (track view, staff view, etc.).  If I minimize cakewalk while it's playing, I can go to any other screen and move it all I want, and cakewalk is completely fine.  No crackles.

Here's another possible clue... it doesn't have to be the mouse that is moving the screen causing these pops.  If I turn on staff view WHILE I am tracking, the realtime notation on the screen will also cause some pops.

Any ideas?

What happens if you go start + Run  > control powercfg.cpl,,1  .  On my PC it takes me directly to my power options.  I tried it on another PC, works on there too.   Maybe press Win key + r then "control powercfg.cpl,,1"  Without the quotes If this does not work on yours, then you have other issues.

I am pretty sure the RX 5700 has power options.  I use an Nvidia card so I am not really sure how AMD does it without googling it.

I am still thinking this is video card/driver related.  I am assuming you have gone to the manufacturer's website and manually downloaded the latest drivers.

The last time this happened to me, it was when I was using a PCI audio card.  As soon as I went to a Focusrite 2i2, the problem went away.  Also, it was not just a Cakewalk problem either - it happened in other audio programs as well.  Not the case in your situation as you are already using a USB audio interface.

Have you disabled all other sound cards.interfaces other than the Focusrite Clarett 8Pre USB (That also includes your onboard sound - disable that as well)

You might still want to investigate disabling power saving option on your AMD display card - or even consider replacing it (Borrow one if you can)

That being said, I have a Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen and a Nvidia GTX960 with the latest drivers, power saving disabled, and I definitely do not get crackling when I move the mouse during playback.

It might be as simple as trying a different USB port (I'm assuming your going direct to the PC and not through any hub of any kind.

I have also disabled IEST (Intel enhanced speedstep) and c-states.  I have also turned off core parking.

It should be noted that my system still does it with the PCI card.  It does not do it as soon as I switch to the 2i2 (USB)

Edited by Promidi

This is definitely not a case of stray, analog noise.  This is a clear case of screen updates introducing... well for lack of a better way to say it, digital noise.  Something momentarily disrupts the data stream.  I mean, in some ways, it sounds like when you're using a setting with low latency, but this is NOT the case.  I have gone between the HIGHEST to the LOWEST setting, and there is absolutely NO difference.

Also (and I feel like this is a very important piece of information), if I am playing a track, and I manipulate my mouse, and I have something completely unrelated on the screen, (i.e. a document, a photo... whatever), the Cakewalk playback is PERFECT.  This ONLY happens when I am on a Cakewalk screen, whether it be track view, staff view... whatever.  I'm almost begging to think this is a Cakewalk flaw.  In fact, I don't recall this happening before a recent update.

I absolutely need to get this fixed.  While it affects playback, and doesn't appear to occur in the exportation/rendering/mixdown process, it WILL HAPPEN while I am recording.  Of course, I choose not to manipulate the screen while I'm recording, BUT even the natural occurrence of the screen scrolling.... when it gets to the end and has to completely update to a new screen, there's a click.  IF I have Staff View up while I am playing, the actual notation occuring on my screen will introduce a click with EACH KEYSTROKE!

I need a solution!

This is very rare case, but Windows may slow caused by a broken display monitor which emits noise to PC via graphics card when displaying a specific color tone. So try other display monitor if you have. or change Cakewalk theme to other with different color tones. or try with changing tracks and clips color. It's a check just in case.

Promidi, I am answering your question from the other thread, as it pertains to this issue.  I have done everything you'd mentioned, except plugging directly into the HDMI port coming from the on-board video.  I tried this, but there's nothing.  I believe whatever video was built into this motherboard has been disabled.  In fact, the machine came with a sticker over this port instructing users NOT to plug into it.  I looked in device manager and I don't see anything disabled.

I'd have to scroll backward to name all of your suggestions, but I can assure you that I've done them all.

I am to the point at which I am regretting having purchased a gaming machine.  I thought it would be the right thing to do.  Having said this, I am faced with a couple of options.  One, I can just return this PC, and have the daunting task of having to reload everything and all my settings, etc, etc, on yet another machine, or I can bite the bullet and replace this video card.

I need something that has three monitor outputs, but I want to stay away from anything that resembles Radeon.  I suppose I can see this Radeon card.  I paid way too much for this machine.  Either way, I simply cannot carry on with this problem.  Obviously, when I'm tracking, I avoid the mouse like the plague, but the problem is, even when the scrolling gets to the end, and the screen shifts on its own, there's a single click.  I know I can disable scrolling, but now it's just interfering with my process.  I create beds for a few radio networks, and I am already behind schedule.

What are your thoughts, and what video card would you suggest?  Remember, three monitor outputs.

Thanks for your help.  I welcome suggestions from others as well.

-Anthony

One last thing, here's what the specs are for the slot type for my existing Radeon card:

Bus Type - PCI Express 4.0
Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 4.0 x16

So, I was looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9PW5DZ?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=KRJRAVFG8XY4KJQQD4NG

The slot type is: PCIE x 16

Are these the same?

I watched the video - yes that's similar to what I get with my PCI card.  Does not occur with Focusrite 2i2 2nd gen with latest BETA The 4.0 drivers.

The 4.0 in PCI Express 4.0 is simply the theoretical transfer speed - mine is 3.0   4.0 is double that od 3.0

I am thinking maybe try an Nvidia card..... Obviously one that supports three monitors (maybe a GTX1050).   If you can borrow one that would be a bonus.  If you go this route, then make sure you turn of Nvidia's power saving feature.

You mention "just return this PC" - does this involve boxing it up and sending it back or is the vendor within driving distance?  Note: just changing the video card would not require a software reinstall.  Unfortunately, the only way to tell if this is going to solve the problem is to actually try a brand different card.

What did Latencymon report?