"Fret Pane" not working as expected ?

Objektor

Continuing to discover Cakewalk, and I came across the guitar fretboard UI while in staff view. 

If I add MIDI notes to a sequencer clip via the piano roll, and press play, I'm not seeing any frets being populated . However if I add notes directly by clicking on the fretboard, I get the visual feedback. If I use a combination of input methods, only the ones I entered on the fretboard appear.  Am I missing something here ? 

Since a lot of my ideas start in the sequencer, I thought this would be very handy to go back and learn the phrases on guitar, with live visual feedback - but for the life of me I can't get it to work in this way. So some assistance would be appreciated.  A search of the forums doesn't bring much up, and the manual doesn't spend much on this functionality

Right-click on the fretboard, and choose "Select Fretboard Track." Now the fretboard will be associated with that track. If the track has the piano roll, what you enter in the piano roll will show up in the staff and fret view. Insert notes in the fret view, and they'll show up  in the piano roll. 

I should add - this isn't something I use regularly, so I don't know if there are any gotchas. But I tried it now in order to answer your question, and it seems to work well. Circle back if you encounter issues.

Edited by Craig Anderton

Thanks Craig - I've taken your suggestion, but it is greyed-out in the menu. No matter what I select, whether it be the sequencer track, the clip or the notes in the Piano roll. 

However, on further trial & error, it does now seem to be working with notes directly in out into a clip. Only thing is, it's not very responsive, often holds a note on the fretboard display and often skips the first in a bar. I'm going to put this down to being a bit buggy, since it seems to be a rarely-used feature therefore probably not reported on. I come to this conclusion from the lack of discussion around the fretboard in this forum, or online in general. 

Never mind, I can output an ASCII file to represent tablature easily enough from the staff screen, so that's a positive !

2 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Thanks Craig - I've taken your suggestion, but it is greyed-out in the menu. No matter what I select, whether it be the sequencer track, the clip or the notes in the Piano roll. 

That's odd, I tried it and it worked fine. Maybe you didn't have the staff view window open?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

That's odd, I tried it and it worked fine. Maybe you didn't have the staff view window open?

So far as I can tell, the fretboard can only be showing while in staff view, so that's not the problem. For what its worth, the CW version i'm on is 2020.1, which should be the latest. 

Either way, it 'kind of' works, but is not as responsive as I would have liked, and often skips the first note, and holds other notes, usually at the end. If I get to the bottom of this strange behaviour, I'll be sure to update this thread. I'm also having issues with Cakewalk interfacing with the sound drivers and my A/I that need some troubleshooting when I get some time to research further, so that may be a contributing factor. 

In the meantime, the ASCII tab export is good enough - far more useful than the current DAW I use, which has nothing like this at all. 

Anyway, I appreciate your help, regardless of the outcome. If I don't get to the bottom of it I'll reach out to Bandlab.