Peg

steve@baselines.com

Awesome cover! I can imagine how much work went into this. It always amazes me when I break down a song I like and see just how good the musicians are.

My only critique is that the kick is somewhat buried and could use a bump to get that beat locked in.

Dan

• Like 1

Wow.. great musicianship on this one.

I agree with Dan about the rhythm  section and the kick being buried which would really help to drive the groove.
The mix is really well spread out.
If you could,    I reckon a Mastering engineer could really make this song shine.

Well done and a great achievement.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 8:28 AM, dcumpian said:

Awesome cover! I can imagine how much work went into this. It always amazes me when I break down a song I like and see just how good the musicians are.

My only critique is that the kick is somewhat buried and could use a bump to get that beat locked in.

Dan

Thank you! You are right, it was a ton of work.  I started out learning that bass part and just about threw the towel in at that point.  I'll take a listen and maybe update that kick.  I appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback!

On 2/5/2020 at 9:45 AM, garybrun said:

Wow.. great musicianship on this one.

I agree with Dan about the rhythm  section and the kick being buried which would really help to drive the groove.
The mix is really well spread out.
If you could,    I reckon a Mastering engineer could really make this song shine.

Well done and a great achievement.

Thank you Gary - appreciate the feedback, and I am going to try and work on that kick a little more.

On 2/5/2020 at 10:34 AM, mark skinner said:

Steve , Incredible job on this cover.  Darren nailed the falsetto parts , sounded like the original vocals.  Great job on the guitar work also. I guess this is what Bandlab was made for , I think you guys took it to a different level...    mark

Thanks a lot Mark - I'll make sure that Darren knows about your post here.  Are you on bandlab?

God those up front keyboards sound good! And the percolating bass!!! The vocals obviously have a different tambre but they work because of that. They are good. Hard for one guy to be Fagan, and Michael McDonald!

So glad I listened. When the lead guitar comes in, it sits purrrrfectly in that excellent mix.

Or, the song itself is just so well written, any deaf monkey could throw crap on the wall and it would still sound good.

No, your mix is really really good and totally worthy. Very well done!!!

Want a nit? The part at 1:19, and later in the song, that McDonald bgv note is a little loud for how abruptly it ends.

cheers,

-Tom 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 4:56 AM, ZincT said:

Excellent cover @steve@baselines.com ! Well done.

That's a hard song to do with all of the vocal parts and you also did an excellent job on the guitar solo. (thinks... I must give that solo a try 🤔) 

Thanks!  I had to cheat a little on the lead.  It was a bunch of takes...only way I could ever do that.

On 2/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, emeraldsoul said:

God those up front keyboards sound good! And the percolating bass!!! The vocals obviously have a different tambre but they work because of that. They are good. Hard for one guy to be Fagan, and Michael McDonald!

So glad I listened. When the lead guitar comes in, it sits purrrrfectly in that excellent mix.

Or, the song itself is just so well written, any deaf monkey could throw crap on the wall and it would still sound good.

No, your mix is really really good and totally worthy. Very well done!!!

Want a nit? The part at 1:19, and later in the song, that McDonald bgv note is a little loud for how abruptly it ends.

cheers,

-Tom 

Hey thank you Tom, I appreciate the feedback.  Darren asked me to turn down the backups, we did it a couple of dB down for about 3 iterations.  We probably should have kept going lol.