Request: Default project save location

Adam K

Having just lost a fair number of projects due to a hard-drive failure it would be nice if Cakewalk could default to saving projects within the "Documents" folder in Windows 10, as so many other pieces of software do. So many in fact that I hadn't realised Cakewalk didn't until I lost my projects. I back up the Documents folder to One Drive so thought everything was saved, but sadly not. Lesson learned I have now manually changed the the default save location via "Preferences" but it would be nice to save others who are new to Cakewalk from having to suffer this in the future.

You can alter the location of the Cakewalk Projects folder, in Preferences.

1) With Cakewalk closed, create a Cakewalk Projects folder at the location you wish,  and populate it with all of the project folders from your C:\Cakewalk Projects folder.  I suggest then deleting the project folders from the original  C:\Cakewalk Projects folder, ONLY after you have made sure they had all properly copied over to the new location.

2) Launch Cakewalk, and Go to Edit > Preferences > File > Folder Locations, which will give you a screen with the paths to various folders of Cakewalk content, and these paths are editable.

3) Edit the path for the Cakewalk Projects folder, by browsing to its new location.

4) Click Apply when finished pointing to the new location

5) I don't recall if you then have to restart Cakewalk or not.  PLEASE NOTE: Since the location of all of your projects will have moved, it may well be that Cakewalk won't find the Recent Projects that are shown on the Start Screen - but I may or may not be correct on that.  (it has been a long time since I moved my projects folder).  SO, don't worry if you click on a Recent Project on the Start Screen and it cannot find it - it would just mean that you would have to open it again from the list of  Existing Projects - at the left side of the Start Screen, which will find all of your projects by using the new path you had specified for the Cakewalk Projects folder in Preferences.  :)

Bob Bone