Converting Audio To Midi In Cakewalk

Starise

On 5/23/2021 at 12:03 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

You do need melodyne to do audio to midi conversion. However, even the lapsed demo version (I.e. free limited version) will continue to handle this.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall Melodyne Editor, but even after i uninstalled it( which was too a hectic process bcoz another administrator of Windows 10 was marking Melodyne as a dangerous software, so I had to use Command Prompt, with admin rights, to uninstall it), I can't seem to reinstall it through Bandlab Assistant. In the Addons window, the Melodyne option is ticked and greyed out, which should mean its still installed but I checked it and its not installed on my pc. So no idea what's the issue. I didn't try the Cakewalk feature of converting audio to midi, until a few days ago, bcoz I didn't know about it, but from the first time that I tried to use this feature, it didn't work. Everytime I drag my audio clips to a midi or instrument track, the dialog box pops up asking for confirmation to convert audio to midi, I click Ok, the processing bar appears on the top in the Transport Module for a few seconds and shows it's processing but after that no new midi clip appears on the track. No conversion occurs. So now I cant even reinstall Melodyne Editor and cant even use the audio to midi conversion feature.

Edited by In A Week

On 5/22/2021 at 10:00 AM, User 905133 said:

I occasionally used audio to midi conversion within SONAR, too.  I was later led to believe by things I read that what seemed to me to be SONAR conversion actually used Melodyne (which used to be bundled with SONAR).  I know I used to be able to do polyphonic conversions without any clue that it involved Melodyne.  But a year or so ago, the polyphonic conversion disappeared. Not sure if that was because I updated from Essentials 2 (or whatever version came bundled with SONAR) to whatever version of Essential I now have.

I suppose if there are no satisfactory alternatives and polyphonic conversion is a must-have feature, the cost of Melodyne Editor would be worth the expense.

@pbognar Was/Is the conversion in Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio with Essential 5 polyphonic?

In order to perform polyphonic audio to MIDI conversion in Mixcraft 9, you need to have Melodyne 5 Editor or Studio installed.  It is the same for Cakewalk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pbognar said:

In order to perform polyphonic audio to MIDI conversion in Mixcraft 9, you need to have Melodyne 5 Editor or Studio installed.  It is the same for Cakewalk.

Sorry to hear, but thanks for confirming this.  It seems unlikely I will ever be able to get back whatever I had at one point that let me do polyphonic audio to midi conversion within SONAR/Cakewalk.  Oh well.  😞  

• 3 months later...

When I drag the audio down to a midi track it ask if I want to proceed. I click...yes. I can see above that it is analysing the audio....but then nothing...

Nothing appears in the midi track.

Do you need a full paid version of Melodyne for this...?  Or perhaps I`m missing a step. Your help much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that unless you have Melodyne V4 Demo still active, it will work, even past the 30 day. Once you install Melodyne V5, this feature is no longer available past the 30 day trial. I waited 30 days to test and confirm in both version cases.

To my understanding, Cakewalk team are in communication with Celemony and are trying to negotiate to re-enable this for V5 demo past the trial period.

• Thanks 2