Resonance (booming) issue between two tracks

Mo Jonez

Question

Trying to fix what I will call a resonance issue (not sure the best term).  My drum track and bass track are producing an annoying booming tone when played together, seems to be one of the toms and the bass together producing a booming resonance.  Been fiddling with EQ settings but cannot seem to reduce the conflicting tones.  These are both audio tracks so cannot go in and edit the exact notes.  Hoping there may be a plug in or way to isolate and reduce the offending tone (frequency?) on one of the two tracks.

Appreciate any advice music friends!

3 answers to this question

There are several multi-channel frequency analyzers. Here is a video of MMultianalyzer showing how it displays frequency overlaps between tracks around 9:05

The plug-in occasionally goes on sale for 50% off through the year. All commercial Melda plug-ins have a full feature 15 day trial before they go into demo mode.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Its typically the kick drum and Bass that are fighting for a lot of the same frequency's.

Try cutting the kick drum track placing a sweep on the lower 50-60 HZ range.

Then notch the kick between 150-250 range. Pull it up/down to find the offending frequency.

Your not alone here, a lot of us fight in this range because the Kick and Bass guitar are a marriage of sorts. They not only carry the foundation of the song but also lay in the same frequency path.

• Like 2

I feel the best thing to do with kick and bass is to identify what instrument you're going to use as the overall low-end. I usually opt for the kick, as I feel the subs are easier to tighten than a bass guitar. For example, if the kick is driving the track, I'll cut everything under 100Hz on the bass track. The kick will be the only source within the 20Hz - 100Hz range, so it's much easier to shape and level resulting in a much cleaner low end. 

This gets rid of issues a lot of the time. Additionally, there's plugins such as Oeksound Soothe 2 which help suppress resonant frequencies across the  frequency spectrum. Another technique is to use something like Wavesfactory Trackspacer to duck the bass slightly upon kick drum impact. 

Edited by Light Grenade
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1