Hot Dog!

freddy j

Here is a song about one happy guy.  His girl just told him that she loves him and he's gone all wiggy about that.  It is a very simple song about the subject of many songs.  His response --- I guess it might be understated to say that he is elated.

This song is also simple in construction.  I wanted to capture that sound of early electric Blues and rockabilly.  You might notice the simple, cheesy sound of the guitars.  The song kind of wrote itself (the best kind to compose), and was easy and fun (very) to do.  However, I spent an inordinate amount of time on trying to capture the sound of the cheap guitars and overdriven amps of that era.  You know ---  like a cheap Silvertone plugged into a portable Pignose amp.  You may know that I'm a fool for rhythm and this song is full of it.  Rhythm that is!  Also, instead of the Chunka -- Chunka rhythm that I used in "Tamiami Trail", I am using a Kachunk -- KaChunk rhythm.  I am sure that the difference will be apparent ????? Right?????

Anyway this one is just for fun.  I hope it gives y'all a bit of fun.  As always comments, crit.'s, suggestions, etc. will always be appreciated.

Thanks.

HOT DOG!

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=963481

• Like 2

A super successful throwback. The drums have a nice live feel, but as I listened on headphones I wanted a little more of the kick, and the bass g too. It's got a nice booty shaking shuffle to it, just maybe punch up the low end a tad?

I dug the vocals and their treatment. Effected yet clear. It's one of your best ones. For me.

I also noticed that you have 140 songs on the Soundclick and holy moly that is a lot! A very respectable body of work!

Cheers,

-Tom

Edited by emeraldsoul
  • Like 1

Wow, thank you Tom.  The music you described is very special to me.  As a young guy we moved around a bit.  That meant leaving old friends and having to make new friends.  The main constant that I had was that I could usually find some 50K AM radio station that would be playing the music I loved.  Thanks again for the very kind comments!!

Thank you Tom (emeraldsoul).  I was hoping to get close to some of the '50 r 'n r and rockabilly sounds that I heard as a small babe in swaddling (I had to look that one up) clothes.  Perhaps that statement was a bit of an exaggeration?  Hopefully, I got somewhere near that goal.  I hear and understand what you said about punching up the bottom.  Some comments below mentioned the same thing.  I have brought up the low ends a bit.  I did not want to bring it up too much for a silly reason.  My failing fossil memory remembers these songs as being very treble in sound especially when heard on a mono AM radio.  However, I trust the judgment of you that know what you are talking about over mine.  As far as 140 songs on SoundClick, well I have engaged the same strategy that is used by some photographers.  If one take a lot of pictures (or in this case do a lot of songs) then 1 or 2 might be worth keeping.  Thanks again Tom and thanks especially for you comments.

It is indeed very nice David!  I was fortunate to have found a lady that loved me and I married her.  Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and thank you for commenting.

Hi Gary.  I appreciate very much that you took the time to listen and comment.  Hopefully, I am not living too much in the past ☺️ I get what you are saying about increasing the bottom and have increased a bit.  The silly purpose for doing it the way I did initially is in my response to Tom (emeraldsoul) above.  However, reason has prevailed and hopefully it now has a bit stronger bottom -- musically.  Thanks again for your comments and input.

• Like 2

Hi Dan.  Thanks for your suggestions.  I have fiddled around and added a bit more bottom.  Hopefully, it sounds a bit better now.  Thanks again.

Hey Bjorn.  Thank you for the kind words!!  You are absolutely right.  It does have more of a rock 'n roll feeling.  I guess around that period of time (when the term rock 'n roll was just coming into use) a lot of different genre were being dumped into it, such as: jump blues, blues, hot swing, boogie woogie, rockabilly, R & B, etc.  I must have gotten confused. 🤔 I must say that I am impressed by your discerning ability to distinguish between KaChunk and Chunka rhythms. (lol)  Thanks again for your comments!

Hello Mark.  Thank you.  I really do appreciate you taking the time to listen and especially comment.  I hope you held on to that Audition guitar.  I went on-line to see if I could find any and I saw asking prices anywhere from the high $200's all the way up to $500+ depending on the condition and model.  That is probably a wee bit more than the asking prices in the '60's.  Thanks again Mark!

Thank you Douglas.  As I mentioned in the post above, it is a simple song and it put itself together relatively easy.  However, I did fret over it in trying to get the right sound on the guitars.  I finally had to give up only hoping that I got close.  I haven't performed (music) live in a very, very long time (since college days).  I'm afraid that I would be a disappointment to anyone that would be subjected to a performance by me.  I very much do appreciate your taking the time to listen Douglas and thanks for your kind comments.

Hi Nigel.  I very much appreciate your kind comments.  Thank you.  I listened to your recent post "Looking Forward To My Past" and it is a knockout.  Excellent work!!

This is a very well done straight up blues song. As such I think the sound can be colored any way that suits the material. Has that retro sound that fits so very well. You are quite talented at all of those instruments and the ability to  mix it for the feel you want. Liked the harmonies in "hot dog". 

Thanks for sharing Freddy! Best to you.