Step Sequencer Clip Crop/Split Behavior

Hendrik Gideonse

Question

I am finding a strange behavior with step sequencer clips. When I select the right crop handle to increase the amount of time that a clip loops, the content in the clip doesn't extend past the original length of the clip. Notice in the screenshot below, the Addictive Drums clip has been pulls right to lengthen the clip. I would expect it to repeat the content of the clip based on the looping indicated by the clip. After the notes pass the time line, I hear nothing, even though the clip should still be looping.

image.thumb.png.f4c4860127af0c643ff4938eddbf237d.png

If I Split the clip after the first loop, I get the following behavior:

image.thumb.png.d9d8a4c7372bed7960f1eb992685c990.png

The clip starts over at the clip point. This seems like some setting that is accidentally getting turned on.

How do I return to the old clip behavior where extending a looped clip extends the notes?

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

Thanks for the help!

Hendrik

5 answers to this question

@tecknot If you look at the screen shots, you can see that in the first example, the clip is in looping configuration by the indentations at the top of the clip on every clip repetition, but the MIDI data isn't repeating. I just opened the project up again and using the Ctr+L doesn't seem to have any effect. It's kind of bizarre.

The screenshot below shows both the clip in looping mode with the MIDI notes correctly repeating and with the MIDI notes stopping at the end of the clip's length without repeating.

image.thumb.png.5f0938734589aeea9b51c29eac9a8c0b.png

Hi @tecknot,

I am not able to create the situation I am experiencing either. It has happened to me many times in the course of working on projects, but I don't seem to be able to make it happen. Or make it not happen once it has started.

A couple of interesting observations. First, you do not seem to be able to Ctrl+L a step sequencer clip. It doesn't seem to have an effect. I guess that a step sequencer clip includes the looping attribute set to yes.

Second, if you make a step sequencer clip and then copy it, the two clips are linked. If you then change one clip to piano roll, it unlinks the clips.

The behavior yields some unexpected results because normally copying a piano roll clip would create linked clips as well.

Best,

Hendrik

Hi Hendirk,

There is a setting under Preferences | Customization | Editing that's at the top "Copy Entire Clips as Linked Clips" which is, I believe, checked by default.  I set mine unchecked so that I don't get clips linked together.

So, the SS clips can be repeated by stretching/rolling to the right and that's working for you now.  Hum, must be something that didn't allow it to work in the first place.

Kind regards,

tecknot