A Message From Noel Borthwick

cclarry

PSA: If you have VST2 plug-ins please ensure that you do NOT install them to the standard VST3 plug-ins path. CbB from 2020.01 onward will no longer scan any .dll files placed in the VST folder. (Program Files\Common Files\VST3)

If you have any VST2 plug-ins in the wrong path please move them to a different folder such as C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 and adjust your VST scan paths accordingly

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, scook said:

I have seen a couple reports of Toontrack plug-ins in the VST3 folder. Have not determined how they get there but Toontrack does not make VST3 plug-ins so their stuff should be installed elsewhere.

Yeah, I've noticed that they're installed there as well (via the Toontrack installer). However, I haven't had any issues when opening them from there.

Is it safe to assume that VST3 plugins NOT in Program Files\Common Files\VST3 will not  be scanned?
I've seen a couple of plugins install their VST3s in their VST2 folder.
It won't bother me either way because I move 'em if I catch that their not installing in the correct locations, but curious.

But what's about the iZotope plugins? They come with a .vst3 file and a dll file starting with "i.....dll". Will they still run properly? 🙄

It is always an annoying trap if some plugin providers tinker there own exotic solutions 😝 (like iZotope here, and especially Waves).

I have separated all other plugins.

AFAIK, ALL files with vst3 and dll extensions in the scan path will get scanned EXCEPT in the dedicated VST3 folder where dlls are skipped as of 2020.01.

The iZotope VST3 plug-ins all scan and load using the vst3 extension. The dlls are called from the vst3 files.

For true VST2 plug-ins in the VST3 folder, it is possible to force them to scan in 2020.01 by adding a directory junction in the VST2 scan path. I would advise against adding the entire VST3 folder but adding specific folders like C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Toontrack should be OK. IOW, running a command shell as administrator in C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins and typing

mklink /j Toontrack "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Toontrack"

I tested this by moving my Toontrack folder under the VST3 folder and it scanned OK.

Still think it would be better to move/re-install VST2 dlls to a path outside of the VST3 folder though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, scook said:

Still think it would be better to move/re-install VST2 dlls to a path outside of the VST3 folder though.

Ditto.

Some vendors place their VST3 in subfolders in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
I also use subfolders under ...\VST3 to organize my VST3s and reduce clutter.
Not at home so I can't test if this a now problem.

16 minutes ago, scook said:

Yeah, it is surprising how many dump their plug-ins in the VST3 root.

I am a fan of dedicated manufacturer folders.

I prefer everything being in one place. That way if I have plugins or programs that need to be pointed to the folder, it's only one instead of many

Most plug-ins work just fine in folders under C:\Program Files. The exceptions are plug-ins that write into the folder containing the dll. This is the case with a lot of plug-ins built with Synthedit. These plug-ins should be installed in an area where users have read/write access otherwise the DAW must be run as administrator.