APD Offer: 60% off OBSCURIUM by Sugar Bytes

Audio Plugin Deals

For only $39.99 (instead of $99.99), get OBSCURIUM by Sugar Bytes! OBSCURIUM features a dazzling array of organic and lively sounds, delivering spherical pads, bubbly arpeggios and deadly percussion attacks.

OBSCURIUM is a productive synthesis tool with VST Hosting & Generative Pitch engine. It generates scales, chords, arpeggios and combines these with FM and Analog Synthesis or any VST plugin. Create unbelievable sound textures, chord sequences or even drums. The sound is always organic, mysterious and very clear.

Originally $99.99, OBSCURIUM is now offered for just $39.99 ($60 savings) for a limited time, you don’t want to miss this rare offer!

Deal Page: https://audioplugin.deals/deal-2/
Deal Ends: Feb 16th

KEY FEATURES

• Avantgarde Sound Design Tool
  • 8-voice Saw, Pulse, Supersaw and FM Synthesis
  • VST Interface can host & control plug-ins
  • Generative Harmonies or straight MIDI-Input
  • MIDI out
  • Draw Tools, Modifiers and Super Obscure Mode
  • Parameter Shifting
  • 400 Presets with Pads, Drums & Atmos

Most of it's sales are around $69 Black Friday)/59 Euro.  A few times it goes on sale for $79.  This was low enough I decided to grab it.  Though I really should just buy the bundle upgrade in my account and be done with it.

Not really sure how useful it is though.  That FM synth sound is a bit limiting.  And it's UI is so strange I'm not really sure how to use it at all.  Which on the Sugar Bytes scale means it's pretty awesome. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

Obscurium is pretty amazing for soundscaping, with vst hosting to boot. Just try the presets. If I had to keep only one SugarBytes product, it would be Obscurium. 

Cheers Fleer.

10 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Also get Aparillo if it’s on sale. 

I have it on iPad and it's pretty sick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Yeah, me too, got the in-app for $10 or so. Same with Factory. I’m hoping they can port Obscurium to iPad but It may be too large. 

Ditto with Factory but I hadn't realised that Obscurium isn't available on iPad - maybe even more of a reason for me to buy the PC version. 👍

• Great Idea 1

I have a love-hate relationship with Sugar Bytes.

On one hand I think their GUI's are stunningly beautiful and mood-eliciting. On the other I fear they direct too much of their effort toward surface polish and activities of an advertising studio.

The UI's are certainly "unique", "novel", "exciting", and many such things that can all be substituted with "gimmicky". It sometimes makes sense, other times nonsense.

They can make nice sounds, but the visual aesthetics and user experience are the most positive things I associate with Sugar Bytes' stuff, rather than the sound quality. There is always some crudeness and harshness in their sound that I can't pinpoint. 

Their products often look and feel finished and polished (apart from the sound), but they've traditionally not been too concerned with updating them after they're out. There was probably some ridiculous rounding or type casting bug just recently in Aparillo that caused some parameters or their graphical representations to accelerate from just letting the VST instance run idle for a few hours. I don't know if it's been fixed and whether they even know about it (I often try to do bug reports but I can't be bothered to report everything to everyone all the time, or someone better start paying me).

I have Aparillo, Cyclop and Guitarist. I don't use Aparillo much, and I don't really enjoy the sound design process in it. I passionately hate the "orbiter" and similar apparatus, and Obscurium to me looks like a cultivation of exactly that type of crazy. More fun than useful, in my eyes (and hands). But I love the filthy Sugar Bytes sound coming out of Cyclop, great for smashing base with mid-to-high grit, and Guitarist is pretty fun and useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We differ indeed. Guitarist or Cyclop aren’t my thing. Obscurium and Aparillo are. I also have and appreciate Factory as well as Egoist and Thesys, but Obscurium and Aparillo are really special. I didn’t find interesting presets in the demo, but the real thing has remarkably creative ones. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fleer said:

We differ indeed. Guitarist or Cyclop aren’t my thing. Obscurium and Aparillo are. I also have and appreciate Factory as well as Egoist and Thesys, but Obscurium and Aparillo are really special. I didn’t find interesting presets in the demo, but the real thing has remarkably creative ones. 

Yeah, don't get me wrong, they're programmable synths, albeit unconventional. They have refreshing approaches to the process and workflow, which I wish other developers took some hints from.

I've just been quite unsuccessful at programming them, but that fault could for a large part be attributed to my own rigidity. I use mostly FM and samples, and am covered so well in  those areas - besides a few specific voids I'm working on filling - that I simply feel demotivated learning my around an obscure (no pun intended) synth that gives the initial impression of "What the ***** is going on?", then leaves me studying the manual and screwing around for hours when I could be well on my way to finishing the sound set of a project with what I have.

Overall I get the feeling that Aparillo and Obscurium are best suited for generative music, sound experimentation, effects, evolving pads and ambient. I'll give Aparillo another serious try one of these days. Because when I was somehow able to make it do my bidding, I got some nice wide and fat FM buzzes out of it. Currently too busy with Tone2 Nemesis which is quite possibly the best sounding synth I've had the pleasure to torture.

Edited by sarine
  • Like 1

Really impressed with demo of this, mainly as a creative sequencer for my external synth.  Finding it crashes a lot when I load my own plugins though, anyone else seeing that. Seems to be only certain VSTs that are more buggy I guess

32 minutes ago, tom said:

Really impressed with demo of this, mainly as a creative sequencer for my external synth.  Finding it crashes a lot when I load my own plugins though, anyone else seeing that. Seems to be only certain VSTs that are more buggy I guess

I am just trying the demo but haven't tried with external plugins yet (got tied up messing with some of the amazing presets :). 

Will try it with VSTis and let you know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tom said:

Ok I have had a reasonable play with it using AAS VA-3, Dimension Pro, Soundspot Union, DS Diversion and DS Thorn.

I got it to lock up once when trying to bring up the Dimension Pro UI but overall it seemed pretty stable.

I have only used it standalone so far but I will also give it a go in CbB and see if that makes any difference.

If it's OK in CbB then I will most likely be buying it.

• Like 2