Ernie Tamminga

Can't figure out how to trim a track

I'm using the latest Cakewalk release. I've been watching the video tutorial on mixing.. For trimming a track, it shows having the cursor in Smart mode and clicking on either end of a track, then pulling inward to do the trim. When I click on the end of a track, nothing happens except that the time-now indicator gets placed there. The cursor does not change to a two-arrow icon, it just remains the normal arrow. If I "pull inward" with that cursor, all it does is create a time-selection. 

I really want to trim the track... how can I actually do that??

It's called slip editing. And it works as planned but if you have a automation lane happening it won't work. It's best to trim those tracks before you add automation. 

What you can do is use the "split" function and then delete the unwanted material.  Right click the track to open the menu

I believe the cursor must be in the 'right' place for certain editing functions. Expand the track and then move the cursor along the end of the clip until you get the desired cursor.
Eventually, it will become second nature.

16 hours ago, Ernie Tamminga said:

I'm using the latest Cakewalk release. I've been watching the video tutorial on mixing.. For trimming a track, it shows having the cursor in Smart mode and clicking on either end of a track, then pulling inward to do the trim. When I click on the end of a track, nothing happens except that the time-now indicator gets placed there. The cursor does not change to a two-arrow icon, it just remains the normal arrow. If I "pull inward" with that cursor, all it does is create a time-selection. 

I really want to trim the track... how can I actually do that??

Don't click until the cursor as changed to the correct icon.

The different icons are explained here:  http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Tools.21.html

The "hit zones" for the smart tool are shown here: http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Tools.04.html

• Like 1