Can't figure out how to trim a track

Ernie Tamminga

I'm using the latest Cakewalk release. I've been watching the video tutorial on mixing.. For trimming a track, it shows having the cursor in Smart mode and clicking on either end of a track, then pulling inward to do the trim. When I click on the end of a track, nothing happens except that the time-now indicator gets placed there. The cursor does not change to a two-arrow icon, it just remains the normal arrow. If I "pull inward" with that cursor, all it does is create a time-selection. 

I really want to trim the track... how can I actually do that??

It's called slip editing. And it works as planned but if you have a automation lane happening it won't work. It's best to trim those tracks before you add automation. 

What you can do is use the "split" function and then delete the unwanted material.  Right click the track to open the menu

16 hours ago, Ernie Tamminga said:

I'm using the latest Cakewalk release. I've been watching the video tutorial on mixing.. For trimming a track, it shows having the cursor in Smart mode and clicking on either end of a track, then pulling inward to do the trim. When I click on the end of a track, nothing happens except that the time-now indicator gets placed there. The cursor does not change to a two-arrow icon, it just remains the normal arrow. If I "pull inward" with that cursor, all it does is create a time-selection. 

I really want to trim the track... how can I actually do that??

Don't click until the cursor as changed to the correct icon.

The different icons are explained here:  http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Tools.21.html

The "hit zones" for the smart tool are shown here: http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Tools.04.html

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

It can help to zoom in to the end of the clip you are trying to trim until you get a feel for it. And what Mark said about "hit zones." Drag the width of your track down a bit to make for a larger target, easier to hit.

Sometimes when editing, I like to switch to the Edit Tool rather than relying on the Smart Tool to obey my wishes. I'm editing, so why not use the Edit Tool? It can eliminate ambiguity. Those other tools are on there for a reason.

• 2 years later...

If the question is, "How do I delete unwanted measures at the beginning of a recording (for example), here's how you do it. 

1. you go to the selection section of Cakewalk and you enter the beginning and ending time signature of what you need to delete... see below...

2. You choose "Delete Special" from the drop down Edit menu.

I hope the images uploaded so you can see what I'm talking about.  I've only used this to delete empty measures for counting in at the front of a recording. I assume it has other uses as well.

image.png

image.png