Korg Legacy Collection - Triton question on included sounds

Robert Bone

Howdy - I happened to see that Korg has gotten around to recently releasing a soft-synth recreation of their Triton keyboard, and I am trying to understand its included sounds.

I see from the doc, that it comes with a bunch of expansion packs, but what is not clear to me (never having owned the actual original keyboard), if the collection of sounds that comes with the new soft-synth version have all of the sounds from their Triton Extreme keyboard.

I am asking for a friend of mine,  a fellow keyboard player, who happens to own and still use an original Triton Extreme keyboard, and he is potentially interest in buying this new software recreation, to use live, because the original keyboard weighs about a billion pounds, but he is concerned about whether or not the software version has all of the "Combi" sounds that came with the Triton Extreme keyboard.

He is a bit leery of dropping $249 on the software version, if it doesn't have the Combi sounds from the Extreme included, because those are the sounds he would be interested in.

I looked at a couple of his combi sounds (he sent me phone pics of the various parts of 2 of his combi sounds from his keyboard's display window, which show all of the effects and internal routing that give those sounds the rich depth that they have, and I had thought perhaps I could create equivalent sounds using Kontakt instruments and applying similar effects, etc.... to save him from spending the $249, but it seems like a bunch of work for me to do that, SO I thought I would ask here - if anyone knows if the current sounds included with the new Korg software recreation of its original Triton (with its included expansion packs), would then also have the various combi sounds from the Triton Extreme - and if so, that then might justify my recommending he spend the $249 and pick it up, for live use.

Sorry for the long post - trickier to explain than perhaps necessary, I need some coffee and am pretty sleepy.  :)

THANKS to anyone who might know the answer to the above.

Bob Bone

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Alan said:

I still use the Triton Extreme in my studio.  I wonder if the software has the Moss sounds which are really great in the Triton Extreme.

Alan

I downloaded the demo - which seems to operate for like 15 or 20 minutes, so I will try to work through all of their combi sounds.

Can you please confirm that these 'Moss sounds' you referred to, are Combi sounds?  Or, are they basic presets (not Combi)?

Bob Bone

14 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I downloaded the demo - which seems to operate for like 15 or 20 minutes, so I will try to work through all of their combi sounds.

Can you please confirm that these 'Moss sounds' you referred to, are Combi sounds?  Or, are they basic presets (not Combi)?

Bob Bone

Moss, or M.O.S.S., was a hardware addon for the Triton that provided an alternate synthesis engine. True synth rather than samples. I doubt that Korg included that in the VSTi. If they had, I'm sure it would be listed near the top of the features list.

The expansions are additional samples that were sold as addon cards, similar to Roland's JV/XV stuff.

Dan

• Thanks 1

I got the impression from the Korg website  that the VSTi is based on the original Triton. https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_collection/triton.php

• Including eight-part multi-timbre combis, abundant PCM samples, five IFX, and two MFX, the KORG Collection TRITON is a complete reproduction of TRITON’s HI (Hyper Integrated) synthesis system.
  • Supervised by original TRITON developers
  • Over 4,000 ready-to-go sound programs
  • Includes all of the expansion library EXB-PCM cards
  • Features a new sound browser for quickly searching by instrument/character
  • Includes an EASY mode that gives you instant access to important parameters
  • Full of ready-to-go phrases with 307 dual arpeggiator patterns
  • A free demo version is also available

22 hours ago, abacab said:

I got the impression from the Korg website  that the VSTi is based on the original Triton. https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_collection/triton.php

• Including eight-part multi-timbre combis, abundant PCM samples, five IFX, and two MFX, the KORG Collection TRITON is a complete reproduction of TRITON’s HI (Hyper Integrated) synthesis system.
  • Supervised by original TRITON developers
  • Over 4,000 ready-to-go sound programs
  • Includes all of the expansion library EXB-PCM cards
  • Features a new sound browser for quickly searching by instrument/character
  • Includes an EASY mode that gives you instant access to important parameters
  • Full of ready-to-go phrases with 307 dual arpeggiator patterns
  • A free demo version is also available

Agreed.