Song Key / Scales & Chords ?

Objektor

Hi everyone, 

First post here, I have just started exploring Cakewalk with a  view to move on from my current DAW .

Wondering if there is a feature where I can set a song key, so that when I play my controller, it only sounds notes in the scale I choose (all non-scale note are effectively disabled). 

And further to that, how about a feature that triggers chords corresponding to a scale, by playing only the root note ?

In my searching, I've discovered CAL Scripts that converts single notes to chords, but there are a mere 5 chord types to choose from, is there a depository somewhere with more chords that I can import ? 

Cakewalk does not have a realtime lock to scale feature that I am aware of. You can go into the Piano Roll View (PVR) and have it snap to a scale. Then when you move pre-recorded midi notes around they will snap to only scale tones.

There are several 3rd party VST's that do what you are asking about. Do a search for Chorder's or Scaler's and you will find a few of those programs.

I have not used the CAL scripts for this but if you open one up in a text editor you may be able to figure out how to make more chords?

CbB ALWAYS records the data at a track's input.

The Transpose MFX can map MIDI notes to a scale. When added prior to recording a track with input echo enabled the effect of the plug-in may be monitored. After recording, applying the effect will alter the data in the track. Alternately, using a virtual MIDI cable can directly record the output from the Transpose MFX in realtime to another MIDI (or instrument) track.

• Like 1

I downloaded the chordz  plug in, but I can't figure out how to get it to work.  I put the 64-bit version of the DLL in the Cakewalk VST directory as the instructions say. It then appears as a 'soft synth' in Cakewalk. If I load the synth it shows up as expected but I can't figure out how to route its output to any sound producing module (for example, Addictive Keys). Anyway, I thought it was supposed to be a midi effect but I can't get it attached to a midi track.  Confused...  - D

Add Chordz like you would any other synth. I recommend adding it using an instrument track. Set the input to your controller and enable input echo.

Add the synth to control like you would any other synth. Set the input to Chordz and enable input echo.

Configure Chordz and play  on.

Thanks to all for the comments. It makes sense that it would be a function of a plugin rather than a function of the DAW. 

I'm evaluating Cakewalk with a view to migrate from Reason. As some of you may be aware , Reason is now available as a VST. And there is a stock plugin called 'Scales & Chords' so I guess that's the best solution, although for the moment I don't own the current licence to allow Reason VST. The plugin suggested by others may be the interim solution. 

For anyone interested, here is the Reason way of achieving what I was referring to in my opening post

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/players/scales-chords

• 4 months later...
On 2/3/2020 at 1:25 AM, scook said:

CbB ALWAYS records the data at a track's input.

The Transpose MFX can map MIDI notes to a scale. When added prior to recording a track with input echo enabled the effect of the plug-in may be monitored. After recording, applying the effect will alter the data in the track. Alternately, using a virtual MIDI cable can directly record the output from the Transpose MFX in realtime to another MIDI (or instrument) track.

Where can one access this "Transpose MFX" in Cakewalk? Im a new user and I could use a feature like that... t

On 2/4/2020 at 9:34 PM, scook said:

Add Chordz like you would any other synth. I recommend adding it using an instrument track. Set the input to your controller and enable input echo.

Add the synth to control like you would any other synth. Set the input to Chordz and enable input echo.

Configure Chordz and play  on.

I'm using a computer keyboard and Chordz really helped me in FL Studio but Im struggling to set inputs & outputs in Cakewalk....