Cakewalk cursor flickering and buttons don't work

Jonathan Rabson

I recently installed Cakewalk 2020.01 on a new computer.  After setting the midi in/out and enabling a track for recording, I thought that recording would be as simple as clicking the record button, like in the old Cakewalk from many years ago.  But if I click that button, nothing happens.  I also keep getting messages about audio dropout, even though I'm not trying to do anything with audio actually.  So I downloaded a simple midi recording tool from midieditor.org and was able to record.  Then I opened that file in Cakewalk.  This time, I tried to click the playback button, but it doesn't do anything.  In addition, the mouse cursor is a blue round icon that's going around, as if something is constantly loading whenever Cakewalk is open.  So it doesn't seem as if Cakewalk can do anything?  Does anyone know of a solution to this?

Thanks for replying.  According to my Control Panel, I have Realtek(R) audio for the speakers/headphones.  As to the message that flashes briefly on the bottom right about the audio dropout, there's a "(0)" at the end, so I guess that means code 0, or "Unknown error or no dropout."

What's frustrating about this is that I'm not trying to do anything with sound currently.  I just want to record midi from a digital piano and edit existing midi tracks.  It would be nice to tell Cakewalk not to worry about generating sounds until I come to the point of needing that.

As to WASAPI, is that another driver that I would have to download and install, and then I could use that instead of the built-in Realtek driver that comes with the computer?

WASAPI is a newer driver from Microsoft. You said your computer is newer, then you should have it already. It should work better that WDM/KS .

You also need to have an input set in the MIDI track. Presumably, you're using a USB cable to transmit the MIDI data to the computer. You need to download drivers for your keyboard to use USB. If the Input of your MIDI track has no options, you need the drivers and for Windows to recognize the drivers.
What keyboard are you using?

I'm using a Kawaii ES1 and Yamaha UX16 Midi interface.  These work fine with a simpler program such MidiEditor.  My computer is a Dell G7, which I bought new in 2019, and it came only with the Realtek driver.  I'll look into whether I can install WASAPI for this computer.

Thanks,

-Jonathan

8 hours ago, Jonathan Rabson said:

I'm using a Kawaii ES1 and Yamaha UX16 Midi interface.  These work fine with a simpler program such MidiEditor.  My computer is a Dell G7, which I bought new in 2019, and it came only with the Realtek driver.  I'll look into whether I can install WASAPI for this computer.

Thanks,

-Jonathan

WASAPI is built in to Windows. You shouldn't need to install any drivers, just swap to WASAPI within audio preferences within CbB.

• 4 months later...
On 2/9/2020 at 4:18 PM, msmcleod said:

just swap to WASAPI within audio preferences within CbB.

Just wanted to say this worked out for me. I have a Dell G3 with Realtek, a similar setup to OP's

Edit: MIDI tracks still aren't audible

Edited by kinksdrinks

21 hours ago, kinksdrinks said:

Just wanted to say this worked out for me. I have a Dell G3 with Realtek, a similar setup to OP's

Edit: MIDI tracks still aren't audible

Do the MIDI tracks have a valid output, such as a software synthesizer with its output set to your sound card or audio interface or a Master bus>AI or a hardware synthesizer such as your keyboard, with its output connected to an amplifier/speakers or headphones?

• 1 year later...