hasting

Hi. Just wanted to know if Bandlab have any future plans cakewalk UI theme to a more modern looking theme like most of the other DAWs or even the Bandlab online DAW (giving it that unified look). Making the buttons flat and smaller so the space can be utilized more efficiently.

20 minutes ago, hasting said:

Hi. Just wanted to know if Bandlab have any future plans cakewalk UI theme to a more modern looking theme like most of the other DAWs or even the Bandlab online DAW (giving it that unified look). Making the buttons flat and smaller so the space can be utilized more efficiently. [Emphasis added]

For some of us, making the buttons smaller would be a step in the wrong direction. However, just as there are options for different "sizes" (or orientation states) of modules within the Control Bar (as well as other visual options), I would not mind at all if there were some way to have some choices in the sizes of things like buttons. That way people who can see tiny things can opt for small buttons, etc. and people who can't even see "normal" sized buttons, etc. can opt to have them larger.

A number of users have suggested things like adjustable graphics; For my needs, I am not sure there needs to be infinite gradations, as than might totally change Cakewalk beyond easy eye-to-brain-to-hand usage.

Fortunately (JMO), with the Theme Editor we can do a fair amount of customization.  One user has even created a very helpful (IMO) guide to help others with customizing themes as the elements (colors and images) are currently accessible. 

BTW, I tried another DAW that was absolutely impossible for me to read (bad fonts and too tiny) and there was no way to change that.  Wish I could get my money back!!!!

The Tungsten theme does have flatter buttons, and some of the many user-created themes also have flat buttons, but yes, the size of the various elements must be the same as the default theme. No resizing allowed.

Resizable (vector) UI is a long-requested feature, so know the developers of Cakewalk know that many users would like it to be as you suggest.

In the meantime, please avail yourself of the user-created themes. I usually run a user-created theme (slightly modified by me). I agree that Mercury, which is the current default theme, is starting to look a little dated. Tungsten is better. Given that the Theme Editor exists, I would like to see a more modern default look for Cakewalk, but such decisions are not mine to make.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:31 PM, hasting said:

Hi. Just wanted to know if Bandlab have any future plans cakewalk UI theme to a more modern looking theme like most of the other DAWs or even the Bandlab online DAW (giving it that unified look). Making the buttons flat and smaller so the space can be utilized more efficiently.

I 💯 percent feel the same as you do.

Okay for me music making is a hobby (for now) but there's nothing worse than opening cakewalk and glaring at it's UI. Sure I keep updating and hoping for the day that the look would be modernised.

On 2/5/2020 at 5:35 AM, puddy said:

Okay for me music making is a hobby (for now) but there's nothing worse than opening cakewalk and glaring at it's UI. Sure I keep updating and hoping for the day that the look would be modernised.

Meanwhile you can enjoy this beautiful theme 🕶️

• Great Idea 1

On 2/5/2020 at 12:35 AM, puddy said:

there's nothing worse than opening cakewalk and glaring at it's UI

That's a pretty strong statement!

Given that you are bringing this up in the "Themes" subforum, is this a matter of colors and text colors and button styles for you?

If so, this is the right place to look, and I'll ask: if it's a matter of theming, then there may be an existing user-created one that might be less....um, repulsive, and if you give us better clues about what's so barf-o-bits we might be able to point you in the right direction.

If it's not so much a matter of colors and such, then that's more fundamental than "theming," and voicing your dissatisfaction in the "feedback" forum would be better.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2020 at 3:35 AM, puddy said:

I 💯 percent feel the same as you do.

I'd suggest getting the Soft Tones Highlighted Buttons theme from here:   

It has a modernist look and also gets rid of some of the unnecessary text in the console view.  

That being said, this theme is one of the best looking out of all the DAWs on the market.  

Ableton has a flat modern look, and frankly it looks dreadful, IMO.  

I don't pretend to say what is good or bad in terms of esthetic, but is funny how some people complain at Cakewalk's GUI, and at the same time they adore Pro Tools, which is the most dated looking GUI of all 2020 software in the world.

Edited by MarianoGF
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

One person's "dated" is another person's "tested, trusted, familiar, efficient, muscle-memoried".

Maybe, but apparently for some people "dated" means different things depending on the software in question.

• Like 1