Toontrack announce EZBass!

cclarry

Today, we are proud to announce four milestone releases, all slated for 2019:

• EZbass. This year we complete the rhythm section. Meet your new bass player!
• Orchestral Percussion SDX. The immersive Superior Drummer 3 saga continues!
• Decades SDX. Drums by the most awarded man in the recording industry: Al Schmitt.
• Pop Punk EZX. This winter we make sure your punk songs pop!

READ MORE

• Like 1

I would not have expected Rayzoon to get there first.  Ralph's one guy, and since adding Mac support, he just wouldn't have enough time.

I also don't think he's the right guy for the job.  Part of it is because he is a drummer and not a bass player, but another part is that he is very biased towards jazz and metal and seems unfamiliar with R&B and Pop.  If he were to develop JamBass along similar lines as JamStix, the list of bass player models might look like Jaco Pastorius, Geddy Lee, Jason Newsted, Jeff Berlin, Les Claypool, Steve Harris, and Cliff Burton.  Meanwhile users would be pleading for James Jamerson, Paul McCartney, Carol Kaye, Larry Graham, Bernard Edwards, John Paul Jones, Bootsie Collins, Mark King, etc.

• Like 2

The people at UJAM must be going, "Damn, we just got our Virtual Bassist series on the market and you tell us this?"  Ouch.

Toontrack is going to do great with this.  Knowing all the expansions that will be done for this makes it a very appealing product.  Not to mention the synergy with EZKeys and EZDrummer.  

2 hours ago, mumpfucious said:

I also don't think he's the right guy for the job.  Part of it is because he is a drummer and not a bass player, but another part is that he is very biased towards jazz and metal and seems unfamiliar with R&B and Pop.  If he were to develop JamBass along similar lines as JamStix, the list of bass player models might look like Jaco Pastorius, Geddy Lee, Jason Newsted, Jeff Berlin, Les Claypool, Steve Harris, and Cliff Burton.  Meanwhile users would be pleading for James Jamerson, Paul McCartney, Carol Kaye, Larry Graham, Bernard Edwards, John Paul Jones, Bootsie Collins, Mark King, etc.

That's the truth.  I love jamstix, but you perfectly named it's weakness.  I keep waiting for the "Ringo" drummer to appear. 

Back in the 90s it was amazing that even relatively cheap keyboards could do an entire arrangement on the fly. You just had to pick a song part and play some chords. After almost 30 years we are  finally getting closer to similar functionality in virtual instruments. Yes, they do sound better, more realistic and have more articulations. But honestly, any serious production of live oriented music (rock, pop, jazz, country, etc) still sounds best with the real players playing their real instruments. So, although all such tools are very welcome, I hope they will be priced reasonably. Can't see myself paying for a virtual instrument the same amount of cash as for a real bass. And obviously all small studios will avoid releasing tracks with auto-accompanying instruments in order to avoid sounding just like everybody else.

Another "virtual bass" to consider is Ample Sound, there are several basses available and in addition to standard VSTi features the current versions have the "riffer" feature which has a library of riffs in various styles. 

Riffer also acts a pattern editor where you can specify the articulation and which string to use for each note in the pattern.

What it does not do is have the pattern follow a chord sequence.

• Like 3