(SOLVED) USB mic in CW 2019.12 problem

paulo

I'm trying to help a friend get set up with CW.

She has this Blue snowball mic..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Microphones-Recording-Streaming-Adjustable/dp/B014PYGTUQ?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duc08-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B014PYGTUQ

and a recent  win10 HP laptop with Cakewalk version 2019.12 installed, but I can't get the mic to work. It is recognised by CW and I can select it as the track input, but as soon as you select the input echo to on you get the message "unable to open record device. Device may not support the current projects audio format or may be in use".

The project in question is the CW "Vocals" template with nothing added to it other than selecting the mic as the input device on the track, which it accepts no problem.

As a test,  I also installed 2019.12 and the mic on my win 8.1 laptop with identical driver settings (WASAPI exclusive mode/ 16bit / 44100 sample rate fast buffer setting and it works like a charm - actually better than I expected tbh, but just gives the error message on hers so I suspect it's a win 10 issue rather than a CW issue, but I have no other win10 pc to try it on so as I have no experience with either win 10 or usb mics I thought it might be worth asking here if I'm missing something or if anyone has any experience with this mic?

TIA for any guidance.

Edited by paulo

@paulo There are some more WASAPI improvements in 2020.01 (esp for exclusive mode) so please try it there as well.
What output device are you when using the mic in Cbb? This is important because both the output and input have to support the same sample rate and bit depth for it to work. The fix I am referring to has to do with how some devices deal with 16 bit audio. We had a case where a device would only work when the bit depth was set to 24 bit manually. This has been fixed in 2020.01 and such devices should now connect properly. Let me know if updating fixes this issue.

If you are still having a problem PM me and we can do some more troubleshooting.

• Great Idea 1

Update in case it helps anyone else, as suspected it was a windows 10 issue not Cakewalk. Privacy options blocking use of mic. Curiously my win 8.1 lappy also set to do this, but it doesn't affect CW. In win 10 it seems that it does.

Thank you again Noel for your time - on a weekend no less -  proving once again why the Cakewalk user experience is just better than the rest.