Export Tracks as Track Names

Light Grenade

25 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

Power Toys, StExBar, Power Shell are all answers that exist outside Cakewalk by BandLab.

Imagine accessing Preferences, selecting "Export Track Name Editor" and then set up exactly how you want the track names to read when they are exported.   There could be multiple editor pages so you could swap pages to manage different needs.

I'd use it but it'd another section of code to maintain. I just wonder how big Cakewalk can get before it's unmanageable. A better score editor would be nice as well.

Edited by Bill Phillips
typo
  • Thanks 1

@Josh Wolfer  I'm sure for some users the multiple workarounds will be sufficient.  If an in house solution is not added then users in search of a solution will find the workarounds invaluable.

I do appreciate it when people provide workarounds they are aware of that addresses an issue.  My intent was to provide an insight why an in program solution is more elegant.

Most people I know have a particular way they want their tracks labeled both inside the program and when tracks are exported.  It will be difficult to compete with an in program solution in this case.

@Bill Phillips I don't think the developers are too worried about the program becoming unmanageable; otherwise why would this Feedback Loop forum section exist?  But I agree that randomly piling on features just to be able to say there are new features is not a good idea either.

The Feedback Loop sees a lot of posts.  Actually more than I first thought there would be when the forum first opened.  I've sometime wondered what more does a full featured DAW need?  I don't automatically support all threads posted in the Feedback Loop.  I rarely support a request that has DAW "X" has this feature and so should CbB.   I don't support requests that want to modify how an existing feature works unless I use the feature and understand and agree to the why behind the request .  I don't hesitate to ask clarification so I and others can understand why implementing the request may benefit many users.

As an aside, if you have a post suggesting a better score editor, post a link to your post.  I don't write scores myself but I'll be happy to look at the post and either support the request or ask questions so I can understand the request better.

In this case, the request makes sense to me.  It's not unusual for a person to export many variations of a song project.   It is not unusual to create a custom mix for each participant at the end of a tracking session, create many variations of a mix for sound libraries or mixes that meet the specific requirements of a cloud media provider.  I can imagine each of those situations having stringent naming requirements for the tracks or mix.  If you engage multiple times with someone it makes sense to me for CbB to have a track label editor to save time and assure requirements are always accurately met.  At the very least it makes sense that I, the user, should determine what method is followed to label exports.

Edited by Jim Fogle
  • Like 1

I am also not in love with the current export naming convention in CbB. For some time I did the renaming manually, how laborious if you often export tracks! Then I tried to use shell renaming and there was sometimes a whole mess, because the shell worked recursively. In the end I wrote my own rename program, because there was so much trouble!

Also I do not agree that it makes sence to use the internal track number for export, because when you do not create your tracks in order, i.e. you insert new tracks in a later state or move them up or down, then you get a real mess if you re-export some tracks (track number may have changed)!

Thus I support absolutely a track export name configuration in CbB! IMHO this would be a very valuable addition to make life easier!