Bounce to track just gives silence

Nigel Mackay

Have  Track 1 with MIDI data on it. Track icon is a MIDI plug.)

Output goes to a softsynth (SI Bass Guitar) on Track 2. (Icon is keyboard combined with MIDI plug.) I have TH3 in the FX. Setup for the sound I want. Output is to Master.

The data area of Track 2 is empty.

If I press Play, I hear the bass guitar playing.

If I Freeze Track 1, I get the processed audio in Track 2.

I select Track 2, Tracks, Bounce to Track(s)...

If I select Tracks as Source Category, Track 2 is available. If I select Buses as Source Category, Master is available. All Mix Enables are ticked.

Cakewalk mixes down a silent audio track, no matter what choices I make.

Or should I Freeze the MIDI track and then copy the created audio to a new track?

1 hour ago, Kalle Rantaaho said:

Bouncing a MIDI+Audio output track combination you must select both the MIDI and audio output track.

Works, of course. Kinda obvious, but neither the few YouTube videos, nor the manual really state that. Probably expecting you to be using a simple instrument rack.

Another way to do this is to SOLO the MIDI track which will auto solo the synth audio track.  Then bounce to track without a selection.

The reason why it requires a selection of the MIDI track is the operation doesn't know which MIDI tracks you may want to include in the bounce. 
I think we can improve this by being smarter and auto selecting all associated MIDI tracks if nothing is selected, to avoid confusion like this.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1