Eduardo Tarilonte's NADA is released

Reid Rosefelt

There's no intro price.  It's $199 and it will always be this, so there's no rush to buy it.   Based on the past, it won't go on sale until BF 2021.  It's at Best Service, Time+Space, JRRShop, and probably other stores.   I may use my T+S Loyalty Points on this.  

Based on the demos, it is absolutely one of the best Tarilonte libraries ever.  Certainly one of the biggest:   440 sounds built from over 9,000 samples.   Can't wait to get it. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1

Sounds really good, though is it just me, or are the Best Engine libraries a little twitchy about activation/machine detection? I had a library a while back that I installed but didn't get around to using straight away; tried to open it up a while later on the same machine, and I needed to reactivate.

33 minutes ago, antler said:

Sounds really good, though is it just me, or are the Best Engine libraries a little twitchy about activation/machine detection? I had a library a while back that I installed but didn't get around to using straight away; tried to open it up a while later on the same machine, and I needed to reactivate.

It's odd since Magix also uses Engine as well.  There's always some confusion, do I activate via Magix or Best Service?  My solution is to avoid Engine.  I've become a full Kontakt fanboy.  (not their player) I do understand why developers want to move away from Kontakt but do they understand why I prefer it?

34 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

It's odd since Magix also uses Engine as well.  There's always some confusion, do I activate via Magix or Best Service?  My solution is to avoid Engine.  I've become a full Kontakt fanboy.  (not their player) I do understand why developers want to move away from Kontakt but do they understand why I prefer it?

Your activations come from Best Service and you just use the response code with them when you put the license in the plugin. It's really simple. You don't really do anything with Magix.

It's really easy to activate Best Service stuff as long as you know to get the Best Service site going in English.  Just follow the instructions.  I did my first noobie activation in German and that was a little ticklish.  😬

People complain all the time about Engine, but it doesn't bother me.  Once I got used to it, it worked fine for me.

I ordered NADA from Time+Space right after I posted this  so I could take advantage of my Loyalty Points.  Still waiting for my serial code so I do have nada so far.  😟

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Mesh said:

Please post back after you had a chance to play with this. 

I've been playing it for three hours now.   I really love it . My favorite things are the vocals, winds, and percussion.

But be prepared, this is very different from the ERA libraries.  For example, the duduk in Ancient ERA Persia gives you a full set of articulations so you can try to play it with all the options a native player has.  It's a typical world instrument.  The duduk in NADA has two articulations: regular and legato.  It plays without legato unless you push a key to do a legato transition.  Let go of the key and you are playing without legato.  Vibrato is usually premapped to the modwheel and expression to the pedal.  This makes it immediately easy to play.  There is also a pad that you can turn off if you want (but not adjust the volume). The default setting is swimming in reverb that you can turn down or off.  It's a dreamy duduk.  

Most of the solo instruments work like this.  They are about giving the pure sound of an instrument in an easy to use way--not giving you every sound that the real instrument can use.  But something reverb saturated with a pad, ready to go for  new age, ambient or worship.  

But that doesn't mean you can't turn off the pad, turn down the reverb and have instruments you can use in any kind of music.  It's no shocker that any wind instrument sampled by Tarilonte is going to sound beautiful.  The strings are good too, but personally with plucked and bowed stuff, I do like more articulations.  The Koto is the exception, it's got a set of articulations  Tari style. 

The standouts for me were the vocals.  I am obsessive about realistic legato in vocal libraries. I have many of them and I am almost never satisfied. They range from pretty bad to close, but not good enough.  Before this, my two favorites were Organic Samples' Solo Opera Legato and Audio Imperia's Jaeger, which I considered the gold standards for state-of-the-art legato today.  Well I just added a third to the list with Voice of Silence (Ana Duble)  It's absolutely perfect and it's so beautiful.  But that's not everything in the vocal section.  There are Voices of Silence phases, and get this--there are two voices singing at the same time.  I've never seen anything like this in a vocal library.  And the choirs in the synth voices?  Amazing.  Tarilonte is going to sell a lot of this to people who do worship music.

Honestly I think the library is worth it for the vocals alone. But the percussion section is insane, both pitched and unpitched.  I thought, I've got a lot of this stuff--tibetan bells, bowls, finger cymbals, rain sticks, wind chimes, etc.  Boy was I wrong.  So many more options than everything I own, that it actually makes me want to make music like this just to use it.  Check out the variety of cymbal rolls.  

The pianos didn't immediately knock me out like the other stuff did, but I'm curious to see how they sound when I start trying them in tracks.  They are meant to be quiet. 

He's known for his pads/soundscapes and this is no exception.  I just don't use that stuff, but if you like what he does, you won't be disappointed.   EDIT: I need to actually play this stuff before making any comment. Pads are important for this kind of thing, and he always does stuff his own way.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Wow, I'm impressed and thanks so much for the detailed review. I love ambient type of instruments that are ready to go. The only library from ET I have is Shevannai (which I like). You may have just convinced me to get this.....oh the GAS!!   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, John Bohlen said:

Engine was developed by Yellow Tools and Magix bought them. It's an old sample player. Not sure what improvements Magix brought to it. Best Service is independent from Magix. I wish they moved their sample libraries to a newer engine.

Engine 3 is going to be released soon. I'm not sure if Best Service is developing it themselves now or if Magix is involved but Eduardo has talked about it a few times.

First, did any of you notice that JRRShop posted a price of $106.99 yesterday?   People on VI-Control got very upset.  But it was a mistake.

147579933_JRRTari.png.1945e7f7c70e30b29dd0f5f8f0d12cb4.png

I spent all Sunday afternoon playing this and I have some new thoughts.

VOCALS - I no longer think the solo vocal is the highlight.  I still think the legato is perfect, but not all of the notes sound realistic to my ears when you take down the heavy reverb.  It works fine for ethereal stuff, but I would take my rating down slightly from what I wrote above.  On the other hand, the vocal phrases, with two voices going at the same time, are extraordinary.  I NEVER use vocal phrases, but these have inspired me to start working on a piece of music. 

MEDITATION PADS - I spent a lot of time checking out the Meditation Pads.  As with a lot of this library, you almost have to use the Engine browser to explore these because there are so many of them.  I rarely use the browser, because I usually pick an instrument and then play it.  But with NADA, you have literally hundreds of instruments, hidden within trees of directories.  This is particularly true with the Meditation Pads and percussion. 

Anyway, the Meditation Pads include a directory called "Moving Dreams," which has a directory of arps and a directory of pulses.  Some of these would work very well for a dark cinematic underscore.  "Endless Reflections" is piano and glass sounds with long echoes.  "Nature Meditations" mix in nature soundscapes with the presets and "Placid Winds" has literal wind sounds.   "Serene Strings" is string sounds, with slow, evolving attacks. 

Anyway, this is a very long-winded way of saying that I think there is a lot to explore and use in the Meditation Pads section.

PIANOS - I dismissed these in my first review, but the White Piano is actually quite nice.  More interestingly, within the "Digital Pianos" section there is a whole set of "Piano Harmonics" instruments, including some chords, which are like quick harp strums.  I like this a lot and am using it in my new piece. 

WINDS - I think what I wrote is accurate, but there are also some ornaments in a few of the winds (Bansuri, Dizi, Hulusi, Shakuhachi) that can be triggered by velocity.  Up to 11 ornaments for each note.

As I think you're getting the picture, this is a deep instrument, that you could spend a long time exploring.   I usually can get a grounding in an ERA library in a day or so.  I'll know what all the instruments are.  I'll pop my favorites into my template.  This is going to take a week just to find out what's in there.  There is a lot in this library that is not in any library I own. 

Another thing I've been doing it matching it up with other libraries I own.  You wouldn't necessarily think it would work because it is really intended to work best with itself.  But the instruments blend beautifully.  I just turned off the reverb and put it in Spaces II with the other instrument.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again Reid for all the details. An honest review is greatly appreciated.....just not from my wallet. :D

Soooo tempting.....

Looks like JRR has taken all of Eduardo's libraries down :o

Edited by Mesh

• 1 year later...

To sum up what I wrote--this is a new age library.  It's not like the others.   But it's a crazy good deal at this price, IMHO.

I bought Kwaya for $129.50, which is the lowest I've ever seen it.   That's what it costs to buy it.  If you want to crossgrade, it's still $179. 😄

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1