can't download bandlab assistant

Tom1

Every time I update bandlab assistant or sonar I run into trouble.

I tried for a fresh install of bandlab assistant and now it stalls about a third of the way through.  I run as administrator and the same stall.  Any help please.

56 minutes ago, Tom1 said:

I tried for a fresh install of bandlab assistant and now it stalls about a third of the way through.  I run as administrator and the same stall.  Any help please.

With Bandlab Assistant (not Cakewalk) I have had this kind of thing happen.  Once or twice there was a small hidden dialog buried. I doubt this is the issue in every case, but I have seen it.  Also, sometimes I have found that killing residual / leftover Bandlab Assistant processes in task manager will allow an update to complete itself.  I also recall that even with those two "tricks," I sometimes had to download the installer manually. 

I have posted about these before, but my eyes are getting fuzzy and I can't look right now.  IIRC one thread that has ideas from a number of people has a typo in the Topic: "Assistent." Maybe the advice in that thread will help. Sorry I can't search for the threads right now, but maybe you can find them. And maybe some of the tips will help.

Edited by User 905133
fix typos

13 hours ago, Tom1 said:

I just updated Cakewalk to 2020.01 and am kicking myself for not taking screenshots of the gyrations I went through to get the BandLab assistant to run so that I could update Cakewalk. Highlights include:

1. BandLab Assistant launched and I logged in but it needed to be updated.
  2. So I downloaded and installed the update which required that I agree to stop Bandlab Assistant.
  3. But BandLab Assistant didn't appear to start so I tried to launch it from the Start menu which didn't appear to work.
  4. So, I went to programs and features and found two versions of BandLab Assistant installed.
  5. So, I uninstalled the older one but still couldn't get BandLab Assistant to start.
  6. So, I uninstalled the version that I'd just installed.
  7. Then I installed it again having to agree to stop BandLab (which was apparently still running even after all versions uninstalled) to do the install.
  8.  Now I was able to launch BandLab Assistant and do the Cakewalk update which appeared to go well.
  9. I launched Cakewalk and verified that I have the 2020.01 version and closed it for now.

If you're having trouble updating Cakewalk because you can't seem to launch BandLab Assistant consider these steps.

I understand and probably still have my own set of progressive screen shots documenting the frustrating process.

6 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:
  • [7.] Then I installed it again having to agree to stop BandLab (which was apparently still running even after all versions uninstalled) to do the install.                [emphasis added]

IIRC, this sounds like one of the hidden pop-ups I mentioned.  Also, I think saying yes/ok to that request might also kill the residual Bandlab processes I mentioned.

19 hours ago, User 905133 said:

[snip]   Once or twice there was a small hidden dialog buried.  [snip] Also, sometimes I have found that killing residual / leftover Bandlab Assistant processes in task manager will allow an update to complete itself.  [snip]

Glad you were able to get through it.  I am adding this note in case it also helps others along with your solution sounds.

15 hours ago, User 905133 said:

IIRC, this sounds like one of the hidden pop-ups I mentioned.  Also, I think saying yes/ok to that request might also kill the residual Bandlab processes I mentioned.

@User 905133, thanks for the suggestions. I moved around visible dialog boxes and checked the tray but couldn't find any hidden popups. Any suggestions on where else to look?

I was also miffed that Bandlab Assistant was still running after I'd closed and uninstalled it. Why would it still be running? That sounds like malware behavior.

• Haha 1

Closing the BandLab Assistant UI does not shutdown the program. This is typical of programs that have a UI and run in the background. To shutdown BA, click the gear in the upper-left of the UI then click the quit button on the settings page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1