2020.01 Feedback

Morten Saether

1 minute ago, Terry Kelley said:

So can we add a path to .VST3 files in another folder?

The .VST3 files should already be where they need to be. The VST3 spec added a common global VST3 folder to ease the confusion that can happen with VST2 plugins that do not have a common shared folder among vendors. All .VST3 files install to C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3.  The VST 2 .dll files need to install to their separate common folder (the default for CbB being C:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins). If your VST2 .dll files are located in the VST3 common folder, you should reinstall those and set them to a common path for VST 2 plugins (that's not inside the VST3 folder). 

Hi, I'd like to report I had midi latency when using ThreadSchedulingModel=3. When playing with midi keyboard and Virtual Controller the latency reaches more than 1 second after 3 or 4 minutes. So I changed it back to value=1, and all is good!

Best regards,

Edited by mgustavo
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, mgustavo said:

Hi, I'd like to report I had midi latency when using ThreadSchedulingModel=3. When playing with midi keyboard and Virtual Controller the lantency reaches more than 1 second after 3 or 4 minutes. So I changed it back to value=1, and all is good!

Best regards,

Good to know.  Any downside to threadschedulingmodel=1 ???

Hi, Alan Bachman

I read on CbB online help that value=1 gives good performance for dual core processors, and value=2 is better for quadcore ones, when the Use Multiprocessing Engine option is enabled. But I can't say if there's downside as my system is entry level (*)!

Edit: (*) also I've been using CbB more for simple tasks like score editing. By coincidence I was trying to program midi with recorded guitar and noticed this new scheduling model issue!

Edited by mgustavo

Hello,
first of all thank you for the update. 

I find the possibility of creating instrument tracks per output very space-saving. Can you program it so that we can specify the number of tracks? I don't always need all of them. 

Currently I help myself by hiding the unused tracks to make them visible again when needed.

I noticed that the number of hidden and shown tracks does not synchronize between the track and mixer view, although the check mark is set in the track manager.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mgustavo said:

I am using 6 cores!  So, I assume I use value=2.

Hi, Alan Bachman

I read on CbB online help that value=1 gives good performance for dual core processors, and value=2 is better for quadcore ones, when the Use Multiprocessing Engine option is enabled. But I can't say if there's downside as my system is entry level (*)!

Edit: (*) also I've been using CbB more for simple tasks like score editing. By coincidence I was trying to program midi with recorded guitar and noticed this new scheduling model issue!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 5:01 PM, micv said:

What's the different between the new "Instrument Track Per Audio Output" and the  Insert Softsynth Option - All Synth Audio Output?

Per the Early Access thread

2020.01 Highlights

Multi-timbral soft synth enhancements

Instrument Track Per Audio Output

In Cakewalk 2019.11 and earlier, Simple Instrument Tracks are limited to one track per instance of a VSTi, and a single stereo audio out.

Cakewalk 2020.01 has a new Instrument Track Per Output option in the Add Track menu and Insert Soft Synth Options dialog box for multi-timbral soft synths that support multiple outputs. It pairs a MIDI track with a separate audio output track (mono or stereo) for each synth output, assigning sequential MIDI channels. This allows you to have multiple Instrument tracks for a single instance of a synth.

The Instrument Track Per Output option is similar to the All Synth Audio Outputs: Stereo and All Synth Audio Outputs: Mono options, except Instrument tracks are created instead of Audio tracks.

Note: As with Simple Instrument Tracks, you must split the Instrument tracks if you wish to edit MIDI automation.

I read this as it creates a Simple Instrument track for each output rather than multiple output tracks that still need a midi track driving it. I think. :)

I noticed that if the synth doesn't have multiple outputs, the tracks created with both appear exactly the same (like Munt MT32 or Xpand!2)

Edited by Terry Kelley

So, if it helps on the new multi outputs for synth tracks folder situation:  For me the issue with all the tracks not being placed in the folder (when asked for) happens only when using the Add Track button in the Tracks pane. Otherwise, when I choose "Insert synth" from the Synth Rack (with the "Ask this every time" pop-up), it adds all synth tracks into the folder (when asked for) as expected.

I potentially love this function! However, despite adding multiple audio tracks for all the outs that a synth presents, there is only ever one MIDI track added. Perhaps I am missing something, or this is by design? I had imagined multiple MIDI tracks each sending to each of the individual audio tracks with consecutive channel numbers. Otherwise, is there a way to have just one MIDI track with multiple lanes each sending to consecutive channels/instruments?? The answer there I'm pretty sure is "no" as I've tried and tried this with lanes.

I still find it much more efficient to create Synth Track/Folder Templates with multiple MIDI/Audio tracks all appropriately connected and named and adding everything all setup in one fell swoop, as there still seems to be a lot of workflow necessary even after the new Add Track multi-outs function.

Not complaining! Just saying. I deeply, deeply appreciate you all so very much!!

Add inst track setting.GIF

Multi outs setting.GIF

hmm, I still don't quite get it yet.  For testing when I added Kontakt it created 4 instruments tracks but no midi track at all.  When i do the split Instrument track option, one midi track is created with the 4 inst tracks.  From the description I would expect 4 midi tracks each assigned to an inst tracks.

• Like 1

Instrument tracks are a hybrid presentation of an audio and a MIDI track. So, using the multiple instrument track option when 4 instrument tracks are created splitting those tracks will result in 4 audio and 4 MIDI tracks. the audio tracks will receive audio from the synth stereo outputs 1 through 4 and the MIDI tracks will send data to channels 1 through 4.

Hi everyone - not been super engaged here, but still watching updates.  Seriously liking many updates I'm seeing in the Cakewalk sphere.  I had a play around with loading up this newest version and things seem again improved.

I went to try the new option of hiding the Aim Assist time in the bar at the top - I like it as an option like this and can see toggling it on and off according to the time in question.

That said, I am still having issues with Aim Assist in general where it will work fine and then just stop working all together.  This has been an issue over several versions for me and I've seen it posted by others.  It will work and then I will notice at some point that there just is no aim assist cursor or that it is just jammed up against the far left side.  All I have to do is close Cakewalk and come back in and it starts working again.

Is there some known fix for this.  I know it's just a little thing, but the Aim Assist is really quite useful to me and something I quite missed when I went over to the Dark Side (Studio 1) for a while.  I'm still switching back and forth between the two programs and trying to determine where I'll land.  This is one of those Cakewalk features that I really liked.

1 hour ago, scook said:

Instrument tracks are a hybrid presentation of an audio and a MIDI track. So, using the multiple instrument track option when 4 instrument tracks are created splitting those tracks will result in 4 audio and 4 MIDI tracks. the audio tracks will receive audio from the synth stereo outputs 1 through 4 and the MIDI tracks will send data to channels 1 through 4.

I think I got it now, I didn't understand instrument tracks as I've never used it. 

Then inst track is really design for live playing or record softsynth straight to audio and not the midi note, correct?

So if I want to program or record midi notes (piano roll) for each track, I need to split the inst track to expose the midi track, correct?

Instrument tracks are NOT intended strictly for live play and cannot record straight to audio. In fact to record straight to audio requires an audio+MIDI track pair. See this for synth audio recording.

Instrument tracks were introduced to simplify the track presentation in SONAR.

Functionally, an instrument track is no different than an audio+MIDI track pair. An instrument track displays the MIDI track input section and the audio track output section. Recording into an instrument track shows the MIDI data. Freezing an instrument track shows the audio clips.

12 hours ago, Blades said:

That said, I am still having issues with Aim Assist in general where it will work fine and then just stop working all together.  This has been an issue over several versions for me and I've seen it posted by others.  It will work and then I will notice at some point that there just is no aim assist cursor or that it is just jammed up against the far left side.  All I have to do is close Cakewalk and come back in and it starts working again.

I have the same annoying issue with the aim assist cursor jammed up against the left side. Restarting CbB solves the problem, but it happens every time I use CbB, I can't understand what triggers the bug

• Thanks 1

I use XLN drums. I load the midi into track and select groove clip looping and drag midi to where I want to stop in track.

After update.. I can only drag midi a very small distance and then keep re-dragging.

I went back to platinum because I use this all the time.

Have not tried groove clip looping feature in other tracks yet. 

It's also great for BPM changes. 

For sure there is something I'm not understanding in the Multi Timbral/Multi outputs enhancement

On 2/6/2020 at 8:10 PM, micv said:

hmm, I still don't quite get it yet.  For testing when I added Kontakt it created 4 instruments tracks but no midi track at all.  When i do the split Instrument track option, one midi track is created with the 4 inst tracks.  From the description I would expect 4 midi tracks each assigned to an inst tracks.

Yes! Agreed!

Why can we not choose the "Split instrument Track" along with the "Track per output" option with the  Add Track button  nor "Track per output" along with "MIDI source" in the Insert Soft Synth Options window giving us an appropriate number of split and paired MIDI/audio outs? Why when we do choose "Split Instrument Track" or "MIDI Source" it provides multiple audio tracks but only one MIDI track!

The multiple pairs option is how some of us like to work in addition to sometimes having the "Simple Instrument" combo track (especially when dealing with synths with only a single stereo out).  I, for one, like to have split tracks for my multi audio synths' instruments with MIDI tracks only visible (with the Track Manager) in the Track view to edit MIDI (envelopes, etc.), and the Audio tracks only visible in the Console view to mix and engineer audio.

(I struck out above because I found that working with the "Simple Instrument" tracks allows for this type of workflow. Duh! Sorry.)

But I still find that...

Templates are still the way to go here!

Edited by winkpain
reconsidered
  • Like 1