2020.01 Feedback

Morten Saether

13 hours ago, vlefteris said:

Is it possible to make Bandlab assistant, let us choose where to download the installers, to not delete them and not install them automatically?

@vlefteris, There presently is not any way for the BandLab Assistant to let users decide where to download the installers, not delete the installers and not automatically install them. 

The Cakewalk by BandLab developers can not make changes to the BandLab Assistant file manager.  BandLab Assistant is maintained by the BandLab Technology Singapore team, not the Cakewalk by Bandlab developers.

You can suggest changes to BandLab Assistant by emailing your suggestions to: support@cakewalk.com.

Also, I believe forum moderator, @scook, created a utility program that will create a installer back-up.  You may want to contact him for a link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2020 at 7:39 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

@rv729 can you send me the log file please - which directory name is being skipped specifically? Where are the toontrack plugins installed?

Here's the log files.VstScan.log.  EZDrummer and Superior Drummer are in C:]Windows\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Toontrack (as are many other plugins that are scanned and found just fine in the same VST3  directory).

VSTScan Jan 2020 Buld.png

17 hours ago, rv729 said:

Here's the log files.VstScan.log.  EZDrummer and Superior Drummer are in C:]Windows\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Toontrack (as are many other plugins that are scanned and found just fine in the same VST3  directory).

@rv729

How did you end up getting your VST2 plugins placed in the reserved VST3 folder? Actual plugins in that folder should always have the .VST3 extension. You should never install VST2 plugins in the VST3 folder since it will no longer work.

As of 2019.01 we exclusively scan VST3 plugins in the Program Files\Common Files\VST3 folder. This was done because some vendors install child DLL files for their plugins there and scanning these dlls cause other problems.

@Noel Borthwick

I believe the Toontrack Product Manager has the plug-in path default to the VST3 folder even though they do not make VST3 plug-ins.

IIRC iZotope defaults both VST2 and VST3 to the VST3 folder (may be just a fuzzy memory though there is another popular plug-in manufacturer that lumps both formats into the VST3 folder).

Interesting, I have seen others report Toontrack plug-ins in the VST3 path. Not sure how they are getting there. It has been some time since I installed Superior Drummer 3 and do not recall what the Toontrack Product Manager actually used for a default. It was the first time I used that tool. I am so used to forcing VST2 into the default CbB path (and I have the VST2 registry entry set up for the CbB too) that I don't even think about it.

To the best of my knowledge Toontrack appears to let you run a custom install once and then the install path is hard set in the registry.  I can not find any settings in the Toontrack manager to set an install path, only the target download path for product.  Arturia have one of the best installation managers as it allows you to set paths for 32 and 64 bit, which is somewhat redundant as they no longer support 32 bit since the V7 collection VST, an installer download path.  The VST 3 is always the default for the bit depth of common files.

1 hour ago, scook said:

IIRC iZotope defaults both VST2 and VST3 to the VST3 folder (may be just a fuzzy memory though there is another popular plug-in manufacturer that lumps both formats into the VST3 folder).

I decided to do a check of my VST3 folder, and you are correct about iZotope. They have a .dll file in the VST3 folder for every VST3 listed in the folder.

Renamed the .dll's and then couldn't load the iZotope VST3, said it was missing a file, so I restored the names.

Very strange. I wonder what they are doing, and if those are actually VST3 plugins, or just some type of compatibility layer or wrapper?

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, scook said:

I recall some comments a while back that iZotope did very little to their VST2 plug-ins for the original VST3 versions. Don't know the current state of their stuff I have not updated in some time.

As far as I know, I have the latest version of all the iZotope Elements plugins, plus Iris 2, according to the iZotope Product Portal (their installer/authorizer).

So they probably have not done much with their VST3 versions. ;)

On 1/2/2020 at 5:33, Colin Nicholls said:

Regresé a 2019.12 por un momento. Mi experiencia con 2020.01 incluyó zumbidos momentáneos durante la reproducción; al menos un código de deserción 13 al intentar iniciar la grabación; y un incidente muy extraño de grabación de batería donde mi pista MIDI de repente envió notas a un VST de piano en lugar del VST de batería. Nunca sucedió otra vez, pero chico era tan inquietante.

2019.12 ha sido el más estable NUNCA, por lo que experimentar estas extrañas peculiaridades inmediatamente después de actualizar a 2020.01 es un poco desafortunado. Volveré a intentar la actualización después de estar seguro de que 2019.12 continúa siendo tan estable como parecía.

Obviamente, si puedo obtener una situación de repro, registraré un informe de error.

Yo tengo el mismo problema con EzDrummer, está instalada la dll en la carpeta VST3 y cakewalk no reconoce el plugin.

Como puedo retroceder a la versión 2019.12...?

I just reinstalled EzDrummer (and EzKeys and everything else during an OS fresh start) and the default path was C:\program files\Toontrack.

C:\program files\common files\VST3 only has VST3 files. The associated dlls are in C:\program files\VstPlugins.

For standalone dlls without an associated VST3, I put them in Program Files under their own folder.

C:\Program files\common files\VST2 only has Celemony\Melodyne.

I do make sure VST3 files are in C:\program files\VST3 only. So far any VST3 that has an installer puts it there but I will certainly watch for ones that puts it elsewhere although it sounds like a second path to VST3 files is ok. Just don't mix non-VST3 in the same place. A search for *.vst3 showed them all in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Great Idea 1

22 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

I do make sure VST3 files are in C:\program files\VST3 only. So far any VST3 that has an installer puts it there but I will certainly watch for ones that puts it elsewhere although it sounds like a second path to VST3 files is ok. Just don't mix non-VST3 in the same place. A search for *.vst3 showed them all in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3.

Probably not a good idea to locate VST3 files any place but "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3".

That is the standard location for VST3 in 64-bit Windows, and many apps  look only there. You cannot alter that scan path in your app like with VST2.

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Probably not a good idea to locate VST3 files any place but "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3".

That is the standard location for VST3 in 64-bit Windows, and many apps  look only there. You cannot alter that scan path in your app like with VST2.

Maybe the team can chime in here. I get what you are saying but it sounded like the issue was files with VST3 extensions should only be in there and nothing else. What I don't know is if you can have a VST3 plugin that doesn't have a VST3 extension file (only a DLL.) Either way, if the file has a VST3 extension I only put that in the VST3 folder. But I believe there are a couple of plugins that claim they are VST3 but only have a DLL. I don't know if they are really VST3 or not. I guess I could look in the plugin window when it's up. They work being in their own folder without any issues ... so far.

Arturia puts it's VST3 extension files in the VST3 folder but puts the matching DLLs in VSTplugins. So there is something cosmic about them being grouped.

Edited by Terry Kelley