2020.01 Feedback

Morten Saether

I updated via BLA from 2019.12 and the process worked correctly for the first time in a while for me although BLA just exited without any prompts after doing the update (maybe that's what it's supposed to do?).

CbB seems to run fine and I like the "mouse hover" performance functionality. This allowed me to look back at some "heavy" projects, identify any late buffers and tweak the buffer settings to achieve zero late buffers.

I also appreciate the instrument Track Per Output option which worked as expected when I tested with TTS-1, Sampletank 4 and Kontakt 6.

Thanks also for the bug fixes! 

Cheers for the update 👍

EDIT: My keyboard shortcuts still work fine. 

Edited by ZincT

I ran the CWAF tool from the command line "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\cwaftool.exe".  

This CWAFtool error is back:  

"The following files were either unreadable by CWAF, or written by a newer version of SONAR than CWAF expects."

I had to manually fix it by editing CWAFtool.ini, changing this line

SupportedProjectVersion=25.13.0.xxx

To

SupportedProjectVersion=26.01.0.xxx

Same thing happens if run from within CBB.

4 hours ago, vlefteris said:

Thanks for the great update!

It seems that my keyboard shortcuts (have to reimport) are not saved, even if I save my project.

May be due to the Workspace setting. Here is an explanation of how shortcuts are handled in workspaces (Note: at the time workspaces were called lenses)

• Thanks 1

I updated this morning from the Early Access version, which was working fine.  But with this new final release I was hearing a single click/pop when playing a single Kontakt instrument (the horns in Spitfire's Bernard Herrmann Toolkit) once in awhile.  I hadn't noticed this before. 

I assumed it was something to do with my ASIO buffer/sound card/etc.  But everything checked out just fine.  I run synth projects at 2048 samples just because it solves lots of problems and that was still set.  This basic Cakewalk Kontakt template does have a few plugins but the clicking wouldn't stop even when bypassing FX. 

It wasn't continuous.  You had to play a few chords and usually it would click on a chord release/chord change.  Not something I could just reproduce 100% but could get it to happen in a few seconds of playing.  The new popup CPU status showed no late buffers and the load was always very, very low (under 10%).

So I tried the same things in Cubase Pro 10.5 and it played just fine, I couldn't get the click there at all. 

So back in Cakewalk I deleted my AUD.INI file and and had it make a new one.  This new one I couldn't reproduce the click.

The only difference between the two is

ThreadSchedulingModel=3  (the clean start version has this as 1)
EnablePluginLoadBalancing=1 (vs 0)
ProfiledWASAPI=1 (vs 0)

I had turned on the ThreadSchedulingModel 3 during the early access, and it seemed fine.  (I don't think the plugin load balancing and profiled WASAPI have anything to do with this.)

I don't have much more time today to try testing a bunch of combinations, but I do think there is something wrong with TSM 3 in this final release 2020.01 build 24

• Thanks 1

So, I guess my only question is, I'm assuming I should go in and change/turn on the new thread scheduling option?  I'm assuming there's some sort of risk or possible adverse performance result involved, since it wasn't just made that way by default...

I've sometimes actually encountered worse performance in the past when turning on things like the plugin load balancing option, hence my hesitation to try stuff like that.

I installed the last early release and was playing with it. Today I saw the official release and downloaded it. During installation it warned me that my OS wasn't supported and needed Windows 8 or 10 (I have been using 10 since it's release.) I never saw that warning before. I said continue and off it went.

Second, it didn't find a couple of plugins I have. My count was short by three. I had to reinstall them. The folders were there but the DLLs were gone.  Maybe unrelated?

Weird. Seems to work fine otherwise. I need to upgrade from Windows 3.11 to 10! :)

Edit 2/2/2020 - With Noel's input, I decided to completely reinstall Windows 10 Pro 64 and very selectively  decide what VST's to add back in. I had been collecting stuff I wasn't using. The result is Cakewalk is now working fine plus the CPU loads and core temps are way down.  I won't even know what made the difference but it's great now. No, I haven't tried TTS-1 yet. It's coming.

An nicety of Windows is you can do a Fresh Start. You have to load a lot of software again but it gives you list a of what it had to remove (and no everything.) I walked through this list and decided if I wanted to add it back in. This might be helpful to someone that thinks their installation has gotten out of control. Things starting going goofy around Sept of last year and this was necessary.

Edited by Terry Kelley

I also am very happy to have the new support for multi-timbral instruments. I logged a FR for this a long time ago. It was always a pain to have to have two tracks (MIDI and audio) for every output pair. This is great, thank you! 

I would like to see Gain control and MIDI FX bin added to the soft synth track type. Without these, it's still necessary to have separate MIDI and audio tracks.

20 minutes ago, D Chance Gold said:

I would like to see Gain control and MIDI FX bin added to the soft synth track type. Without these, it's still necessary to have separate MIDI and audio tracks.

For now, these are accessible using the instrument track inspector - input gain is on the audio tab, velocity trim and MIDI FX Rack are on the MIDI tab

1 hour ago, Terry Kelley said:

I installed the last early release and was playing with it. Today I saw the official release and downloaded it. During installation it warned me that my OS wasn't supported and needed Windows 8 or 10 (I have been using 10 since it's release.) I never saw that warning before. I said continue and off it went.

Second, it didn't find a couple of plugins I have. My count was short by three. I had to reinstall them. The folders were there but the DLLs were gone.  Maybe unrelated?

Weird. Seems to work fine otherwise. I need to upgrade from Windows 3.11 to 10! :)

@Terry Kelley You are running win 10 and got this install warning? What flavor and version of Windows 10 are your running?

VST scan isn't finding all plugins in the latest version. 2020.01 (it can't find my toontrack VSTi's).  Went back to 2019.12 and it finds everything without issue (no changes to locations). .   Looking at the VST Scan Log under 2020.01,  it appears to be skipping that directory all together for some reason.

Edited by rv729

46 minutes ago, scook said:

For now, these are accessible using the instrument track inspector - input gain is on the audio tab, velocity trim and MIDI FX Rack are on the MIDI tab

Thanks but track inspector is not part of my work flow. Most DAW's use a track inspector to access controls for the selected track. I've never liked that paradigm. One of my favorite features of Cakewalk has always been having everything right there in the track header.

Edited by D Chance Gold

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Terry Kelley You are running win 10 and got this install warning? What flavor and version of Windows 10 are your running?

Hi Noel,

I am running Windows Pro 10.0 Build 18363.592.  I believe that is 1909.

I am also seeing crashes trying to export audio to wave 16bit. Still messing with it. I have a dump file but it's too big to attach. It's a memory access error. C00000005.

Is there a way to roll back?

Terry

Edited by Terry Kelley

Did a few tests and the click/pop is definitely ThreadSchedulingModel=3

I had turned it on during Early Access and it seemed better (lower CPU) which is why I was using it.  I can't really verify this problem with Kontakt wasn't happening with the early access build though.  Good news is ThreadSchedulingModel=2 or ThreadSchedulingModel=1 both seem fine.

• Thanks 1