2020.01 Feedback

Morten Saether

On 2/20/2020 at 1:55 PM, abacab said:

@Jonathan Sasor

Thanks, I just re-ran the full core installer for Sonar Platinum 2017-10. Still no sign of those particular PC modules PC76, PC4K, or Tube Saturation. But the rest of them are still there, as before.

@scook I think I just figured out where my 3 missing PC modules went. :)

By default when you create a new project, Cakewalk loads up a compressor, and a tube module in Pro Channel, along with a few other modules.

So when you initially look at the Pro Channel  "Add Module" list you won't see the Tube Saturation, the PC4k, or the PC76 modules listed among the available module choices.

But if you delete the existing compressor and tube modules from the active Pro Channel, then they all become available to add.

Ooops... I never noticed this behavior before... I think the labels in the Pro Channel threw me off. If you look closely at the default compressor, it says "PC4k S-Type" in itsy bitsy, tiny letters in the UI. But the top of the module only says "Compressor". Likewise, the Tube Compressor is only labeled "Tube".

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

This is true.

The original ProChannel had one slot for each type of module. It worked like reskinned PX-64 and VX-64 plug-ins. It was possible to change the order of the effects and turn individual effects on/off but there was no way to have multiple copies of the same effect in the same PC. As a result, the original PC modules were written to allow only one instance of each type of PC module per PC. This is why the PC4K S-Type Bus Compressor and PC76 U-Type Compressor cannot reside in the PC at the same time. The original PC had one compressor slot.

With X1 Producer Expanded the old fixed slot design was changed to allow multiple instances each type of module, however; the original PC modules were not rewritten to take advantage of this feature.

• Thanks 1

AFAIK, BandLab does not provide individual files for download. 

@jon sasor [cakewalk] first suggestion was a clean install.

I suppose you could contact support@cakewalk.com and ask them but my guess is they would agree with Jon's recommendation.

Could not tell whether you verified the PC module folder was compressed or not. I have seen a few reports over the years of odd plug-in problems that were caused by compressed folders. Some users knowingly tried compressing folders, others only found out the folders were compressed upon inspection.

8 minutes ago, scook said:

AFAIK, BandLab does not provide individual files for download. 

@jon sasor [cakewalk] first suggestion was a clean install.

I suppose you could contact support@cakewalk.com and ask them but my guess is they would agree with Jon's recommendation.

Could not tell whether you verified the PC module folder was compressed or not. I have seen a few reports over the years of odd plug-in problems that were caused by compressed folders. Some users knowingly tried compressing folders, others only found out the folders were compressed upon inspection.

Interesting. So, does this indicate my folder is not compressed?

Capture.GIF.e2d5c59905f9c76c48c70d00e7821b11.GIF

Yup. Ok then. I guess I'll just take this one on the chin. For this little broken thing, I will avoid fixing everything else that is not broken with a clean install. It is too much of a risk. Despite what your wiser heads may know logically, for us in the field it always is a sphincter tightening proposition to pull up all the roots established over long-term use to apply a blank slate approach to a minor problem only to find many other things that functioned fine before to be now not working! This has, unfortunately, been my experience on more than one occasion. Not to be done in the middle of a project and a deadline! 🙂

I continue to remind myself that this is superior free software and the bakers continue to help as and when they can, gourd bless ye human angels!

Thanks!

I believe others have mentioned this though I thought it was during beta...

Though Alt-X is assigned to show aim assist time, instead it opens the clips fx box.

Edit...

I also noticed that when I started working this morning, it was on for both of the files I opened, but when I re-opened the second, it had shut off the time display.

Edited by Keni
Forgot to mention.

4 hours ago, scook said:

Check preferences for a custom keyboard shortcut assigned in the Track View area for Open Clip  FX Rack

Thanks scook!

I will check asap (dealing with cat right now)

I so rarely use clip fx it'll be easy giving it up as I typically use the right click drop down.

Is this some kind of mini-bug that was introduced? I didn’t think it’s possible to assign 2 functions to a common key.

5 hours ago, scook said:

Check preferences for a custom keyboard shortcut assigned in the Track View area for Open Clip  FX Rack

Good thought, but no luck.

As I mentioned previously, I have verified it is correctly bound between alt-x and show aim assist time.

I was just thinking. As I was only looking at one clip. Maybe the clip was selected and as such the command didn’t work correctly. I'm gonna go try it when no clip is selected if that is the case.

Nope. Not that either.

Edited by Keni

54 minutes ago, Keni said:

Is this some kind of mini-bug that was introduced? I didn’t think it’s possible to assign 2 functions to a common key.

It's definitely possible to have more than one function bound to the same keystroke shortcut!  I have dealt with this hair-splitting issue for quite a while before figuring it out! Page 1067-1069 of the Reference manual deal with some of the details about bindings, like meanings of the asterisks (although not why they are black or red) and bold text indications. Besides the confusion of having/not having  the key bindings associated with "Lenses"(or "Workspaces"), I have found that Key Bindings can be confusingly doubled up as discussed with Morten here (in it helps in any way) - https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/messenger/572/&tab=comments#comment-3283

Can't help with the cat, 'tho. I suggest you download and do a fresh, clean install there ! 😉

On 2/20/2020 at 12:28 PM, Mario Branchi said:

I think I can reproduce it: on my machine it happens whenever I create a new instrument track by dragging a synth from the instruments browser to the tracks pane.

After closing the "Insert Soft Synth Options" window, the aim assist line gets stuck against the left border and I cannot move it anymore.

Thanks, Mario, this is most helpful. I tried it and it's also true for dragging and dropping audio FX from the browser to the Track Header FX bin.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, winkpain said:

It's definitely possible to have more than one function bound to the same keystroke shortcut!  I have dealt with this hair-splitting issue for quite a while before figuring it out! Page 1067-1069 of the Reference manual deal with some of the details about bindings, like meanings of the asterisks (although not why they are black or red) and bold text indications. Besides the confusion of having/not having  the key bindings associated with "Lenses"(or "Workspaces"), I have found that Key Bindings can be confusingly doubled up as discussed with Morten here (in it helps in any way) - https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/messenger/572/&tab=comments#comment-3283

Can't help with the cat, 'tho. I suggest you download and do a fresh, clean install there ! 😉

Thanks, but I'm refused access. Messenger?

Cat re-booted...

14 hours ago, Keni said:

Thanks, but I'm refused access. Messenger?

Cat re-booted...

Try it now - https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/messenger/572/&tab=comments#comment-3283

(I started discussing the Key Binding issue on the Aug. 30 posts)

Not sure if any of it will help. I just remember going through it all and clearing double assigned shortcuts - I have added many of my own custom shortcuts over the years, not noticing that I had doubled some up with defaults (I guess) Anyway, good luck!

Edited by winkpain

Thanks winkpain!

That lead me to the solution!

Meticulously searching each "Area" for the open or show clip dx bin...

I just searched and found the double-used command. After correcting this, all is well. Both commands now quickly work and I've learned some more about shortcut commands.

Duplicates easily occur between same key/ different area assignments. The bug I see here, if this is intentional (?), then they should only apply within the "Area" selected.

If this is not the case, search needs to be fixed so that it scans all Areas...

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 12:28 PM, Mario Branchi said:

I think I can reproduce it: on my machine it happens whenever I create a new instrument track by dragging a synth from the instruments browser to the tracks pane.

After closing the "Insert Soft Synth Options" window, the aim assist line gets stuck against the left border and I cannot move it anymore.

Here's a temporary workaround: it only sticks if you have the AA line enabled when you drag and drop the Instrument or Effect from the browser, so if you hit "X" and switch the line off before you set up your synth(s) or FX, you can switch it back on. A bit of a pain, but I think the devs are on it and it should be fixed soon.

Good shootin' finding the reproducible condition!

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I've been a long-time user of Sonar Platinum and only recently (finally) made the switch to Bandlab.

One quick question : Have any of you gotten Video view to work? I can still import videos just like I used to in Platinum, but the "video" option has been removed from the "view" menu, and the shortcut (SHIFT+ALT+2) does not seem to work even though it shows up as a tip in the interface.

Any thoughts?