Creative Sauce

How to Record a Song from Beginning to End in Cakewalk (Video Series)

This series is full of excellent advice already and there many episodes to come! Thanks for your generosity Mike.

I especially like that you are doing a song that is more inline with what I do. It is refreshing to see a tutorial that is not Edm, Dance, Hiphop, etc. All genres are equally valid, but each genre has its on way of doing things. With the song you are doing I am learning crafts that relate directly to what I want to record.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jacques. You are quite right - different music takes a different approach. This is a much more contemporary style. I'm just a a lover of 'songs' !

EPISODE 4

Hi folks! In the 4th episode of my 15 part series about recording a song from scratch, I'm laying down some virtual piano and organ.

WATCH HERE: https://youtu.be/n_rpQ2zAJ1s

ALSO... don't forget that tomorrow is the first live show in the series, where you can ask me about the episodes so far :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for doing these Mike - just watched Vid 1 - very good.

Markers #WhoKnew 😂

I can't imagine what else I'm going to learn from these.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AndyB said:

Cheers for doing these Mike - just watched Vid 1 - very good.

Markers #WhoKnew 😂

I can't imagine what else I'm going to learn from these.

Andy

Thanks Andy!

• Like 1

I've watched all these now, they really are very good indeed, I love the guitar layering, that's a great effect (note to self, learn how to do reverb sends) and overall I've learned a lot already. Highly recommended.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Andrew Ball said:

I've watched all these now, they really are very good indeed, I love the guitar layering, that's a great effect (note to self, learn how to do reverb sends) and overall I've learned a lot already. Highly recommended.

Andy

Thanks Andy! There is some stuff on reverb sends coming in the series :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another very good vid (and the more detailed one on the same topic). However, I can't get that FreeG plugin to work the way you do - for some odd reason the RMS and peak meters don't reset when I click them, they just spin to some random value.

I strongly suspect it's a 'Layer 8' problem so will take a bit of perseverance and trial and error on my part.

Andy

Edited by AndyB01
Typo

19 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Another very good vid (and the more detailed one on the same topic). However, I can't get that FreeG plugin to work the way you do - for some odd reason the RMS and peak meters don't reset when I click them, they just spin to some random value.

I strongly suspect it's a 'Layer 8' problem so will take a bit of perseverance and trial and error on my part.

Andy

Hey Andy - try clicking on the numbers rather than the meters, see if that work :)