How to Record a Song from Beginning to End in Cakewalk (Video Series)

Creative Sauce

7 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

A fascinating tutorial, Mike. The way the subtle use of different effects on the vocals built up to create a much fuller and pleasing sound was particularly interesting to me as someone who has very limited experience of using effects other than delay and reverb!

Yes Joe! Honestly, with even modestly priced mics these days you get a good solid sound (in a decent room). From their its a series of subtle adjustments - none of which are particularly 'wow' by themselves. I still think I can improve on this area quite a lot - but the basic tools are there!

• Like 2

Lots of stuff covered in this one! Worth the watch. I think this series highlight two things:

1. Yes, you can record a great sounding song at home
  2. Be prepared to take the time to learn the craft!

You can't just install Cakewalk on your computer and instantly be proficient at recording, mixing and mastering a song from the get go. There is quite a lot to learn and you should be prepared to put the hours. But its a fantastic rewarding journey if you do. What is nice, is that a video series like this ones help set expectations and give a tremendous head start compared to lets say: when YouTube didn't exist? 😊

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Jacques Boileau said:

Lots of stuff covered in this one! Worth the watch. I think this series highlight two things:

1. Yes, you can record a great sounding song at home
  2. Be prepared to take the time to learn the craft!

You can't just install Cakewalk on your computer and instantly be proficient at recording, mixing and mastering a song from the get go. There is quite a lot to learn and you should be prepared to put the hours. But its a fantastic rewarding journey if you do. What is nice, is that a video series like this ones help set expectations and give a tremendous head start compared to lets say: when YouTube didn't exist? 😊

Cheers Jacques. To be honest, I also have so much to learn. The most important thing is to have fun trying things - its all so 'undoable'.

• Like 3

Mike I'm in awe of your productivity but so grateful for this series - I'm working on a song at the moment and I am trying to put your tutorials to good use. I must have watched the one on vocal comping so many times - well if it was on VHS, I'd have worn the coating off the tape by now. I literally had not the faintest idea how to do this but after watching this on repeat I have not only comped my vocal five times, I am now splitting and auditioning takes to select the 'best' one (no mean feat trying to find one decent take when you're 'blessed' with a voice like mine). 😂

Please keep up the great work and I'll do my best to try and keep up.

Thanks again

Andy

• Like 3

On 2/29/2020 at 3:23 AM, AndyB01 said:

Mike I'm in awe of your productivity but so grateful for this series - I'm working on a song at the moment and I am trying to put your tutorials to good use. I must have watched the one on vocal comping so many times - well if it was on VHS, I'd have worn the coating off the tape by now. I literally had not the faintest idea how to do this but after watching this on repeat I have not only comped my vocal five times, I am now splitting and auditioning takes to select the 'best' one (no mean feat trying to find one decent take when you're 'blessed' with a voice like mine). 😂

Please keep up the great work and I'll do my best to try and keep up.

Thanks again

Andy

Hey Andy - thanks for that man, I'm so happy you are getting value out of it. It fills me with enthusiasm to make more!

I think pretty much all of us wish we had a better voice,  but in the end, I think we just have to enjoy it to the extent we can. It may not be the best voice, but its ours :)

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/4/2020 at 2:39 PM, Jim Fogle said:

I really liked the idea of using tap tempo while listening to a rehearsal track to set the project tempo and using Studio Instrument drums to create a click track that matches the "feel" of the song.  I'm looking forward to the next episode.

This has always been my approach to! In fact when I released my Creating A Song Step by Step series about 3 months prior to this series. I really drove that point home. 

• Like 2