Tele knockoff guitar with gig bag ̶$̶8̶0̶ Now back to $99

e-cue

29 minutes ago, Grem said:

I almost got that one too. But I just have too many guitars.

Yeah I know that's not true....

I'm thinning the herd & just sold 5 electrics. Still have about a dozen left & plan on selling a few of those too.

I picked up a Lefty Squier Affinity a few years ago just for the hell of it. Not bad for under $150.00, I use it for writing.

Still If I find one I really like in the meantime I'll grab it. So much more fun than buying plugins!

I get a little worried when I see opaque finishes and no mention of what wood is used. The first one I saw on their listing with wood type listed (solid ash) was $249. Anyone see what wood the OP is made from?

Flip side... 20 years ago I got a Kramer Focus for the kids for $75 on a recommendation (could get all 4 colors for $250). That guitar came set up properly with only the pickups recessed (was even in tune). Pickups not the best, but certainly usable. I believe Gibson ended up buying them out and that line vanished. Bang for the buck that one was impressive (no gig bag though, came in a box).

There are certainly viable inexpensive guitars out there, especially if you enjoy fiddling with them.

If the neck is really bad (and it is drilled to Fender specs) I could always replace with it a '50s $349 neck from Sweetwater. Same with the pickups (about $299). $750 for an 'almost' Tele still wouldn't be bad.

But all in all this may not be that bad as is since I'm not a huge fan of the Tele anyway. I am the original owner of a 1985/6ish Japanese Fender Strat redone with active electronics.

13 minutes ago, Grem said:

@Hidden Symmetry I thought of thinning the herd too, but I so enjoy playing different guitars. I have my favorite four hanging on the wall.  And two acoustic on stands. All others are put away. 

I hear you but these days I like to keep around 20 at the most. I always seem wind up going to my 2 standbys anyway, a -74 Les Paul Custom & a '65 355. My recent buys are a Nash T52 & S57. They play & sound better than most of Fenders I've had over the years.  They all stay in their cases except the Squier beater.

On 1/31/2020 at 10:45 AM, Magic Russ said:

So how is it? 

It's not too bad, plays fairly nice.

Construction seems pretty solid. 

Haven't recorded it yet. So I haven't decided if new pups and neck are a mandatory change. Wondering if a real Tele neck will fit and mounting holes align properly. The existing tuning pegs look a lot like my '85 Strat. 

On 1/31/2020 at 11:55 AM, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

My mantra is something like "you've got enough to have multiple guitars in each room except kitchens & bathrooms so don't buy more"

And then I buy more.  Though I still held out on this one.

I use to have 9 electrics and I'm not really a guitar player.   I once met a guy who had 16 tubas and his wife made him get rid of 3.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:58 PM, Bapu said:

I am the original owner of a 1985/6ish Japanese Fender Strat redone with active electronics.

Bapu - Is that a contemporary strat?  I have one of those from '85. Lovely guitar.  For many years I played it with  SD hotrails in the bridge with a coil-tap. But it's now back to the original PU, just changed the pickguard to an ivory pearl (with matching knobs and PU covers). I took out the tuning lock screws at the headend and the microtuners on the trem. I couldn't get along with them. 

jdf

4 hours ago, jerrydf said:

Bapu - Is that a contemporary strat?  I have one of those from '85. Lovely guitar.  For many years I played it with  SD hotrails in the bridge with a coil-tap. But it's now back to the original PU, just changed the pickguard to an ivory pearl (with matching knobs and PU covers). I took out the tuning lock screws at the headend and the microtuners on the trem. I couldn't get along with them. 

jdf

I locked down the bridge (I'm not a trem guy). I'm okay with the micro tuners and the headstock lockdown setup. I once had the 1st or second generation MIDI pickup on the guitar but eventually ditched it.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 1:34 PM, kitekrazy said:

I use to have 9 electrics and I'm not really a guitar player.   I once met a guy who had 16 tubas and his wife made him get rid of 3.

13 tubas, eh?  Perchance to dream! :)

4 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Is it wrong to own a LP Studio and not play it every day.   I also have a Music Man Sub 5 which I do believe is a collectors now.  It was MM attempt to make affordable USA products.

Some "affordable" versions are great go-to guitars for sure.  My LP Studio was less than a grand from Gruhn Guitars in Nashville so it was definitely low-tier for them but it is a great player that I use all the time.  Every time I get it set up the shopkeeper tells me he gets multiple offers from people looking to purchase it.  He also knows I would kill him if he even came close to selling it.

I'm also more a fan of the lower-end affordable PRS models, for whatever reason.  I guess I just get on with those a lot more than the absurdly expensive models.

2 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

13 tubas, eh?  Perchance to dream! :)

Some "affordable" versions are great go-to guitars for sure.  My LP Studio was less than a grand from Gruhn Guitars in Nashville so it was definitely low-tier for them but it is a great player that I use all the time.  Every time I get it set up the shopkeeper tells me he gets multiple offers from people looking to purchase it.  He also knows I would kill him if he even came close to selling it.

I'm also more a fan of the lower-end affordable PRS models, for whatever reason.  I guess I just get on with those a lot more than the absurdly expensive models.

The Korean made PRS are good guitars. I have a PRS SE One that I love. It is basically a Les Paul Junior.