Tele knockoff guitar with gig bag ̶$̶8̶0̶ Now back to $99

e-cue

I'm not in the market for this, and normally I'd say "you get what you pay for (if you're lucky)".  However, I've seen some good reviews of this brand, not only teles, but also 335's.

This isn't an endorsement. I suppose the most you lose is the $80.

jdf

Edited by jerrydf
335 for 355
  • Like 1

I picked up a Monoprice 'Retro Vision Solid Body Electric Guitar - Blonde' on sale for $105.99 (came to $121.45 with tax & shipping)  in 2015.
Back then it was a straight tele knockoff with the Monoprice 'M' on the headstock.
It came with the intonation set, decent fret job, etc.. Back then Monoprice use to claim they had a guitar luthier on staff to oversee production & setup.  I wanted to add a tele to my collection and had a low budget. It turned out to be a decent guitar. No regrets.

No idea how the old line compares with the Indio line - except for the headstock and new logo on the gig bag (mine has no logo whatever) and that for the solid Ash version they want over $200  https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=610291 (think mine is Basswood but don't remember for sure).

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TheSteven said:

I picked up a Monoprice 'Retro Vision Solid Body Electric Guitar - Blonde' on sale for $105.99 (came to $121.45 with tax & shipping)  in 2015.
Back then it was a straight tele knockoff with the Monoprice 'M' on the headstock.
It came with the intonation set, decent fret job, etc.. Back then Monoprice use to claim they had a guitar luthier on staff to oversee production & setup.  I wanted to add a tele to my collection and had a low budget. It turned out to be a decent guitar. No regrets.

No idea how the old line compares with the Indio line - except for the headstock and new logo on the gig bag (mine has no logo whatever) and that for the solid Ash version they want over $200  https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=610291 (think mine is Basswood but don't remember for sure).

Looks like that more expensive guitar and other DLX and similar still get set up by a luthier in the US according to their listings but the $100 tele copy still seems pretty well-received and I may take a chance on one due to being able to do basic setup tasks myself anyway.   Also because the coronavirus doesn't live very long on surfaces :)

• Haha 4

I bit as I only have an acoustic (Alvarez 5029) and it seems kind of strange to play it live into the DAW->AmpSim to get a quasi electric sound haha - I've spent more taken the Mrs. to dinner!!

Edited by Fwrend
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fwrend said:

I bit as I only have an acoustic (Alvarez 5029) and it seems kind of strange to play it live into the DAW->AmpSim to get a quasi electric sound haha - I've spent more taken the Mrs. to dinner!!

How do you like your Alvarez?  I haven't had one in decades.  That model looks really interesting.  Currently I am limited to two acoustics, both Takamine (sound great, not super upset if I ding them around playing a live set) which I really like. 

To the spending part, I hear you.  I'm taking my wife to one of those Brazilian "meat party" restaurants for our anniversary soon and I know that will cost more than this guitar!

• Like 1

Sure won’t hold value like a real Tele though. I bought a new one in 1970, which was shortly thereafter looked down upon by aficionados as  a “CBS” model. Now worth  more than 10x what I paid for it.

Edited by LAGinz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

How do you like your Alvarez?

I have an old Alvarez 5220 that I got from a college girl that didn't want it. Her dad gave it to her as a birthday present. Bought it from her for $150 around 1985. 

I still play it and it's my favorite acoustic. Greatest action all the way up and down the neck. I can't complain about it. Even after all these years it is still in as good a shape as it ever was.

14 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

How do you like your Alvarez?  I haven't had one in decades.  That model looks really interesting.  Currently I am limited to two acoustics, both Takamine (sound great, not super upset if I ding them around playing a live set) which I really like. 

To the spending part, I hear you.  I'm taking my wife to one of those Brazilian "meat party" restaurants for our anniversary soon and I know that will cost more than this guitar!

Hey Peter - firstly, I'm not an accomplished guitarist nor aficionado but I love the guitar.  It was a birthday gift from my newly wed wife back '82 so it has great sentimental value and is the main reason I still have it.  "Guitarists" who have played it all say it is a good sounding guitar and have enjoyed playing it.  There are a few YT videos of owners demonstrating it so you can get an idea there.

RE the Brazilian eatery, yes, you'll spend probably twice what this (Indio) guitar costs.  We've eaten there (DFW, TX Metro area) when we were down talking to a church about a music position.  After the service that went late we had no idea where to go but thought "hey, this a special day - let's stop in here!"  HA!!  I think it was like $120 bucks before we got out of there and we really didn't have it at the time.  Lesson learned.  But, it was very good and like gear, WAY too many choices, <belch!>

Edited by Fwrend