Why is CbB running better on Win 7?

Will.

Why is Cakewalk running better on Win 7 64bit, than on Win10?  A friend has been running Cakewalk for two weeks back on Win7 ultimate 64bit, just cause of something me and him disagreed on. I was right! Cakewalk runs better on Win7.

Why though?🤔

6 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Maybe because Win 10 is always running all kinds of things constantly to make sure it meets Win 10 specs and they have given up trying to micromanage everyone's Win 7?  Just a guess.

When I heard the news of Win7 being discontinued and that won't have updates anymore, I changed to Win 10.  So, I'm only running CbB for 2 years on 10 now. There's definitely a difference.

• Thanks 1

Win 7 Ultimate's counterpart is Win 10 Enterprise (or Educational). There are some parts of the Win 7U OS that cannot be accessed in Win 10 Home or even Pro.

Because of this I never upgraded my old Win 7U machine. It is imaged and disconnected, so Win 7U will be happy on it until the machine gives up the ghost (probably around 2040).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Define "better".

Exactly.

I updated to win10 at the end of 2019 and after optimizing win10 I don't see much difference. My audio I/F doesn't have win10 drivers, but it's running as well as it did in win7.  In terms of stability, buffer sizes, cpu usage, and so on CbB seems fine under win10.

5 hours ago, panup said:

My CbB runs much smoother in stock Windows 10 than in my old Windows 7.
Windows 10's background processes do not disturb CbB's audio streaming.

Well, we've past the stock version years ago "Win10 Red stone 6"

43 minutes ago, _Will_ said:

What's there to define? 🤔

Oh, c'mon...

- Ability to run a lower ASIO buffer in a given project without crackles/dropouts?

- More even load-balancing across cores?

- Faster/smoother GUI response?

- Faster edit/bounce/freeze/export processing?

- Projects open/save/close more quickly?

- ...?

• Like 1

I have run insider aka Redstone builds on my old cbb system. I run multiple machines on the bleeding edge, and have been an insider for 8,10 and windows phone lol. I have experienced driver issues which normally require time to work out, but all is good after that. The current builds are not much different overall from the "ancient" release 1909, as Ms is focused on finishing 10x for release this year. 

Grant

3 hours ago, David Baay said:

Oh, c'mon...

- Ability to run a lower ASIO buffer in a given project without crackles/dropouts?

- More even load-balancing across cores?

- Faster/smoother GUI response?

- Faster edit/bounce/freeze/export processing?

- Projects open/save/close more quickly?

- ...?

🤣 Dude - you're stressed out, relax. I'm messing with you. 🤣

I still prefer Red stone though.  Even if win7 is lighter on every thing such as cpu; ram, background apps (that overloads cpu and ram,) and unnecessary update checks, even if is turned off. All this while running an i7 system with 16gig ram.