Difficulty downloading studio instruments

Jeff Moenich

Question

Longtime user of Sonar X1, switched over to Cakewalk by Bandlab after a music hiatus.  Not sure if I had the option to choose studio intruments with install from the assistant, but found no SI on the program.  Attempted to download from the assistant but SI and Drum Replacer were  kind of grayed out even though it was checked.  Checked Melodyne and then had the option to install.  Downloaded 1/1 files but then continues to say installing for over a half hour.  Any advice?  Thank you.

11 answers to this question

First make sure the plug-ins did not get installed. By default, the  support files for these plug-ins are stored in folders under C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments. By default, the dlls for the plug-ins are in the SI-Bass Guitar, SI-Drum Kit, SI-Electric Piano and SI-String Section folders under C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins.

If an item is checked and grayed out, BandLab Assistant found a record that it has already installed the item.

These records are stored in KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Installers

I cannot tell you the record ID because I did not install the suite using BA. It should be pretty clear by looking at the info in the records. Removing the appropriate record will remove the check mark and enable the install option BA.

That said, the SI Suite plug-ins have not changed since 20811 and were bundled with every version of SONAR X1 (except for LE if there was an X1 LE). BandLab recommends installing your most recent 64bit version of SONAR prior to installing CbB to gain access to all the content bundled with SONAR.

Thanks for the quick response scook.  I did a search for the specific dll files but they were not found.  The only directories that had studio instruments were: c\Program Data\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments\SI Drum Kit\Paterns or Programs, but no dll files there.    Studio Instruments was not included in C\Cakewalk\VstPlugins.  When I open Cakewalk,  it states only 18 plugins are present, should be more.  i've checked hidden files.  Any other advice?  Thanks

Jeff

Here are the plug-ins bundled with CbB.

If the SI dlls are not installed you can either try reinstalling using the registry edit mentioned above or use the X1 installer. If you prefer not installing the X1 DAW, run the X1 installer, selected 64bit, select advanced install, then pick the plug-ins to install.

Many more plug-ins were bundled with most versions of SONAR. This is why BandLab recommends installing 64bit SONAR.  If the 64bit version of X1 is not installed, consider uninstalling CbB, installing X1 then reinstall CbB.

Make sure the paths are correct in VST Preferences

To see what the scanner is doing, run a VST Reset with Generate Scan Log enabled from VST Preferences and review the log.

• Like 1

If the SI dlls are not installed you can either try reinstalling using the registry edit mentioned above or use the X1 installer. If you prefer not installing the X1 DAW, run the X1 installer, selected 64bit, select advanced install, then pick the plug-ins to install.

I think the above will be the route I want to take, since I did install the 64 bit version.  I'm not the most tech savvy and don't have experience with reg editing so I will have to get my son in law to assist. 

Not quite sure I understand this:" If you prefer not installing the X1 DAW, run the X1 installer, selected 64bit, select advanced install, then pick the plug-ins to install ."  Are you saying I can run the the installer from Bandlab Assistantand choose advanced install?  Would I have to uninstall first?

Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, Jeff Moenich said:

Are you saying I can run the the installer from Bandlab Assistantand choose advanced install?  Would I have to uninstall first?

No, the advanced install option something the X1 installer has. What this allows is installation of any of the plug-ins bundled with X1 without actually installing the X1 DAW. This works for everything except V-Vocal which is part of the core X1 install The actual DAW must be installed to get V-Vocal.

If you choose to install the 64bit X1 DAW (to get V-Vocal or to have it as a backup to CbB), you need to uninstall CbB before installing X1 and reinstall it after X1 because SONAR and CbB share quite a few files. To insure the shared files are current, CbB must be installed last.

Thanks scook,

Just so we're clear, I did not have my original Sonar x1 on my computer when I installed CbB.  I had problems installing years ago and they issued a new serial number so I could not reinstall on a new computer lately.  I came back to Cakewalk a little after CbB took over so I'm catching up.  So I only have  64 bit CbB currently on my computer.    Sorry to be a pain, not really sure which direction to go now.   I still don't understand why Studio Instruments wasn't originally installed with CbB.  Would it be worth it to just try to uninstall CbB and reinstall?

You could try but I do not believe the registry entries BA uses are removed when uninstalling CbB or BA. IOW, unless you manually clean up the registry simply uninstalling and reinstalling CbB and BA will not solve your problem. That said, the easier path going forward is registry edit proposed in my first post if you cannot install X1.

This may be a  good time to contact support@cakewalk.com. They may have a better answer.