Guitar Center

Starise

I have always found GC to be pretty fair about covering warranty situations. 

I don't want to sound as if I am not a fan of GC, I think they serve a purpose that is needed.  I definately like the ability to put hands on a lot of actual gear and to be able to try it, before buying it. 

Here in Raleigh, the GC and Sam Ash are right across the street from each other. I usually go to GC because it's on the 'right' side of the street.
I've been going there for years, though.
On the old forum I related this story, but I've never been afraid of repeating myself:
I was looking to get a Stratocaster and GC had a nice-looking grey and black model for $399 in their flyer. Made in Japan with  3 single-coils.
They didn't have one in stock and I was debating whether to order one online and spied a beautiful red Strat on the wall. Made in Mexico, with 2 singles and a humbucker. Played good, too.
It was $499.
Talked to the sales dude about my dilemma. He asked for my email, then sent me a $100 off coupon. He logged off and had me log in and get the email and coupon. Wala, a better guitar (maybe) for the same price.
Bayoubill tells me his nephew works there.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 9:30 PM, craigb said:

... unless I'm bored and want to tweak a few little brains. 😁

"Hey, where are you keeping the left-handed surround-sound cables for solar-powered spring reverb tanks?"

I never "mess" with them to find out how ignorant they are.   It's not a good place to work.  It would be a toss up working for them or a carnival if death is not the option. I guess it only attracts people because there isn't a strict dress code.   I do my research even before buying from the knowledgeable people from Sweetwater.

I know what it's like to have people try to test you knowledge.  I had 13 years of optical experience and moved from the lab to the retail floor. (hated it) So this guy asks me about the density of lenses. (no such thing)  I said "you mean the refractive index?" He said impolitely, "Forget about it".    I really can't stand working anything retail because they are willing to take anyone's money no matter how bad a consumer treats the staff.

The customer entitlement mentality was created by companies. They expect two things. 1) Company idolatry. 2) Take anyone's money despite how they treat you.  There is a fine line these days as most employers can be reluctant to hire kids these days because they think they can treat anyone like their public school teachers.  

17 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I never "mess" with them to find out how ignorant they are.   It's not a good place to work.  It would be a toss up working for them or a carnival if death is not the option. I guess it only attracts people because there isn't a strict dress code.   I do my research even before buying from the knowledgeable people from Sweetwater.

I know what it's like to have people try to test you knowledge.  I had 13 years of optical experience and moved from the lab to the retail floor. (hated it) So this guy asks me about the density of lenses. (no such thing)  I said "you mean the refractive index?" He said impolitely, "Forget about it".    I really can't stand working anything retail because they are willing to take anyone's money no matter how bad a consumer treats the staff.

The customer entitlement mentality was created by companies. They expect two things. 1) Company idolatry. 2) Take anyone's money despite how they treat you.  There is a fine line these days as most employers can be reluctant to hire kids these days because they think they can treat anyone like their public school teachers.  

The GC employee that took my return had the metal head look. Mentioned he had been working there for 6 years. Most of the ones at this location are at the least in bands and can play pretty well. I get the perception they know their guitars. Keyboards maybe not so much. There's a dedicated employee for the recording section.

I try to make it a point to treat everyone with respect. I can imagine that if I was an employee and someone walked into the store and began to talk all know-it-all on me. If I was 40 and had picked up the guitar at 15....that might not sit too well. That kind of thing shouldn't go on. I'm sure there are some employees who are green. Doesn't seem that way at this branch.

Seems everyone at GC is working there solely for the employee discount. I'm always friendly toward them and treat them as equals. Even when they assume I am ignorant because I'm an old fart, perhaps there to get a clarinet for my grandkid. 

However, I cannot stand being BS'd. That's comes down from corporate, which commands them to sell, sell, sell the high-margin items. So they lie. Monster cables are always "the best". Amplifiers have 1000W outputs even though their UL nameplate says power consumption is 200W Brand names are the most important factor when buying guitar strings. Rokits are the best studio monitors money can buy and all the big studios use them. $100 is a bargain for a 10' mic cable because it's oxygen-free.

And of course, everybody there is a guitar player. Ask about keyboards and they can only point to the keyboard room.

But I never intentionally bait them with questions I know they can't answer. I save that for the computer department at the big-box appliance stores.

Even though I have no animosity toward GC staff, I've not shopped there in 5 years and never will again. GC bought my stolen gear and refused to assist me in any way. Wouldn't let me see the security footage so I could identify the thieves ("it's a privacy issue"). Corporate told me to get lost. Fortunately, we still have a viable local chain as an alternative. Sales staff is just as clueless,  but they're OK with "I don't know, I'll try to find out". That earns my respect.

• Like 1