MIDI: Tracks aren't displaying notes?

Michael McBroom

Okay, I've run into two separate issues with two different pieces, but the problems are at least somewhat related, I suppose.

In the first instance, I have a piece of music where I spliced in a few sections from other MIDI files into a single track. The instrument traces that are shown in the track view are not complete. There are large gaps where no trace is showing, even though the notes are being played. They're visible in the Staff and Piano Roll views, just not the traces. This is mildy annoying, and it's a problem I run into on occasion. I would like to figure out how to get all the notes in every MIDI track to display in its trace.

The second instance is worse. It's another example where I have pasted in excerpts from MIDI files into a single track. In this case, the trace is complete -- no gaps. The Piano Roll shows the complete piece, which is 32 bars long. But the Staff view shows only 12 of the 32 bars. I've never run into this before. I tried selecting different editing tools (Smart, Select, Move, etc.) and even double checked that I had highlighted all 32 bars before clicking on the Staff View (I had). Since I had imported MIDI files into a New file, and hadn't saved to Cakewalk format yet, I thought that might be the problem. So I saved it as a Cakewalk file, and then called up the file from the disk. Still nothing past bar 12. The music is there. Playback works fine. I just can't see past bar 12 in the Staff View. Now, this is a big deal for me since I do almost all my editing using the Staff View. Not being able to see the music as I move forward will be a big problem for me. So, got any ideas what I might have done to cause this?

EDIT: Something else I just tried. I used the "scrub" function (hit the "J" key to activate and deactivate) to scrub through the notes and all the notes in the measures beyond 12 scrub just fine. So they're there -- just the Staff View is refusing to "see" them.

Edited by Michael McBroom

15 hours ago, Michael McBroom said:

The instrument traces that are shown in the track view are not complete.

If I'm understanidng correctly that the clips are not showing any note 'lines', the only think I can imagine is that the track is scaled such that they're not in view. Double-click the scale between the tracks pane and the clips pane to restore full scale.

I don't have any bright ideas about the staff view. 

• Thanks 1