Compatibility of Projects, Old and New Cakewalk Versions

clik

Question

I remember migrating projects from Sonar 4 to Sonar 6 or 8, and had no real problems with that EXCEPT that you could only migrate to newer versions.  In other words, you couldn't create  a project in Sonar 8 and then work on it later in Sonar 4.  This made me very cautious, and I developed a habit of leaving things in their original state.  "Start in 4, finish in 4."

So I wonder how things work in today's world?  If I migrate an 8.5 project into the Bandlab version of Cakewalk, will it ever open again in 8.5?

3 answers to this question

The only insight -which probably does not fit your situation is : I was able to open a project in Sonar PRO that was saved off and edited to CbB which was Sonar Splat level. The only noticeable artifact was missing plugs that were included in CbB that were not available to Sonar Pro.

I have projects that open and convert to CbB regularly from Sonar 5. I have not tested whether they can re-open in sonar 5 though. For what it's worth - many function from earlier versions have been improved. Certainly a few issues regarding unavailable  older instruments and plugs might need to be rendered to audio to keep your archives intact.  I've had no concerns porting to the new CbB version myself though.

AFAIK, there is only one feature that completely prevents a project saved in CbB from opening in SONAR 8.5 - aux tracks and patch points. Projects containing these will immediately shutdown. Other than that, projects saved using CbB will display a warning but should continue to open.