Old Cakewalk Versions

clik

Question

I started using Cakewalk Sonar with version 4 and bought several versions over time.  I remember the installation and "authorization" process changing over the years, but I don't recall specifics.

My question is, now that the original Cakewalk company is gone and Gibson is out of it -- is it possible to re-install and authorize those old versions?  In other words, is there still a server running somewhere to handle the authorization part?

I started thinking about this last weekend, when my laptop got cranky.  Scary cranky.  I've always had a strategy of bare metal re-build and re-install when something goes wrong, but authorization schemes can obviously make that impossible, in some cases.

BTW, I always avoided that "Command Center" stuff (I think it was called).  I never wanted my DAW computer to touch the internet, and there was always a multi-step way to accomplish an "offline" installation and authorization.  I suspect that option is gone, these days.

Edited by clik
clarification

8 answers to this question

All versions before Sonar X3 were serial/registration which means no online authorization is required, these versions will work for ever (considering you have a supporting OS).

your second question is trivial because even though you need to be online to authorize Bandlab you can use it offline 

Yes, in fact you should install Platinum then upgrade to CbB. That way CbB can use all the plug-ins and content bundled with Platinum (and earlier versions of SONAR too). Here is a more detailed reply to a similar question

Since CbB requires an internet connection to activate with BandLab Assistant might as well use the Cakewalk Command Center to install Platinum. It is the easiest way to get everything installed and activated. But before Platinum and CbB installs read the reply linked above. There is a handy spreadsheet of bundled plug-ins by version in the thread I link. Check it out too.

Some older versions of SONAR did have an initial authorization setup. But if you kept the email you got with the code and the serial number,  you'll be good. Those with hard copy Floppy or CD-ROM will probably have that pair of numbers in the packaging. If you have a version that needs the authorization number and wrote down that number (if it didn't come with one), you can install it. If you don't have the original serial number or authorization number for those that need one, you will have troubles. Look in the www.cakewalk.com pages for your account information. Some of the newer packages kept that information for you.

I made it a habit to keep all my registration emails for various software packages "just in case" I needed them again.

I can access my old  serial numbers and registration codes for Sonar 6 through Sonar X3 at https://www.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Products

It would probably be a good idea to make a copy of that page, and download any installers that you do not have saved. Downloads are available for Sonar 8.5-X3.

Prior to Sonar 8.5, I got the serial number printed on the CD/DVD case sticker.

Thanks; I saved any numbers I got, through the years.  For Platinum, it's more confusing -- on the internet computer, I have a folder called "Cakewalk Platinum activation call response files" that doesn't have anything human-readable. 

5 hours ago, clik said:

on the internet computer, I have a folder called "Cakewalk Platinum activation call response files" that doesn't have anything human-readable. 

Sounds to me like the Import Activation Response for offline use. If your installing Sonar to the same PC than you can reuse these Import Activation Response files for offline use of Sonar Platinum.