Mu:zines - The Music Magazine Archive

Jim Fogle

Mu:zines is a non-commercial, labor-of-love archive project to collect, scan and re-publish old music production magazines in an accessible, and searchable form, for reference and general interest purposes.  It is also a crowdsourcing effort to obtain the issues we are missing, to help us to build up a complete archive of issues for archival purposes.

I suspect forum member @Craig Anderton might find this project interesting since Craig has written for many magazines and been an editor for a few.  Of course, BandLab Technologies owns  MusicTech magazine which is about music production so BT may have an interest in helping the archive to grow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wibbles said:

You should have a look in the cupboard under my stairs ... hundreds of the buggers.

Maybe we can take up a collection and send you a nice scanner Nigel!  That should keep you busy for a while, eh? 😁

(Even if you are more partial to Baa than Mu... 😆)

• Like 2

On 1/27/2020 at 11:44 PM, Jim Fogle said:

I suspect forum member @Craig Anderton might find this project interesting since Craig has written for many magazines and been an editor for a few.  Of course, BandLab Technologies owns  MusicTech magazine which is about music production so BT may have an interest in helping the archive to grow.

Thanks for the shout out Jim.

I did try to contact Craig in regards to Polyphony and the early follow-on issues of Electronic Musician as it would great to also have his blessing as he was so involved in much of this stuff, but in general if I don't hear back from folks I don't like to bug them.

Obviously some of his articles are featured in mags like Sound On Sound, and it's great to be able to archive them and make them accessible, rather than being lost...

Of course, the main aim of the site is for UK mags, but we do consider other, non-UK related publications of special archive value if the opportunity presents itself - hence building a complete Polyphony archive with the permissions of Paia last year, and hopefully a full Synapse archive with the blessings of Doug Lynner this year.

Of course, the real big one is Keyboard, it really needs an archive, and I had hoped someone else would have organised one by now, given the outcry when Keyboard ended. It's on our radar, and if we can get permissions, then hopefully we can sort something out, and we are already looking out and picking up copies where we can - obviously being UK-based there are some logistical challenges in shipping mags around, and we don't really have the funds to buy/ship issues from the states. (If anyone can help, please let us know!)

Anyway, I think at some point this year I'll probably reach out to the former Keyboard folks and see whether they would be open to us building an archive, and making more concrete plans if we're able to do so...

Edited by mu:zines
Typo
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Wibbles said:

If you ever get the green light from Future Publishing, I have all the early issues of Future Music and Computer Music (including CDs and DVDs) and would love to find a good home for them.

Future have actually been really nice, as they own Music Maker Publishing (which is E&MM, MT, H&SR, The Mix etc) and they didn't object to us archiving the old issues.

FM and CM though are ongoing commercial concerns, which is why they are off the cards at the moment (not to mention, it's only one guy doing all this, and if I added everything possible, I'd likely die before finishing it - or it would finish me off first! 😝)

• Like 1

@mu:zines, you've created quite the site and have a whale of an archive to be a one person operation.  Really glad to see you're aware of this forum and decided to become a member.  Welcome aboard!

@Michael A.D.,  Yep, now that you mention it I believe I did find the link to mu:zines from following the review link you posted.  Thanks for posting the link in the first place and reminding me where I ran across it.

• Like 2