Lyrics in Staff View and Lyrics View don't match up.

Rick Rickoff

I just spent a few hours in a MIDI track composing a vocal melody line which matched a pre-recorded vocal track as far as notes and timing goes, and then added in lyrics.  When I played the song back, it worked great in the Staff View for that track.  The purpose of doing this was so I could monitor the song words in real time when practicing or playing a live gig.  I was hoping to make use of the Lyrics View for this purpose when doing a live gig as it is easier for me to read stationary words than to have them jump from the right edge of my monitor screen to the left side when reaching the end of a line, so switched over to Lyrics View all seemed fine until I reached the last two lyric lines of the song.  At that point,  some words that had already gone by were re-inserted among the correct words so as to look really confusing.  Glancing back at the Staff view lyrics at the same point in the song, everything there still looked totally fine.  I went back to Lyrics View and  tried to edit out the mismatched words, but as soon as I started doing that it messed up the lyrics in both the Lyric View and Staff View.  Thankfully, I had saved the song after finishing the lyrics for the Staff View, so I was able to simply close the file without saving it again, and reopen it.  Next, I tried deleting all lyrics in the Staff View, from the measure just before the mismatch begins, to the end of the song.  Looking at the Lyrics View, I thought I would see the same area devoid of lyric words, but they were still there!  Has anyone else run into a similar problem?  If so, is there a solution?  If this is a Cakewalk bug, which seems to be the case, I hope the Band Lab crew will come up with a fix for this really soon.  If they don't, does anyone know of an add-on that could reliably be used to do what I want?  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Edited by Rick Rickoff
clarification
  • Like 1

Hmmm, I figured that someone here had most likely run into this same problem, but perhaps not.  Anyways, I still haven't been able to come up with a cure for the mismatch of lyrics between the Staff View and Lyrics View, but I have another question related to the Staff View.  I have noticed that, at the first bar of a song, I am seeing certain objects below the staff that I never used to see, and this happens in all of my songs.  I never used to see these objects before installing the latest upgrade, and now I'm wondering why they are showing and whether or not they could have anything to do with skewing lyrics in the Lyrics View.  Here's what I'm seeing:

What are these figures below the staff.jpg

I just figured out the answer to the question I posed in my last previous post.  The objects seen below the staff were caused by the font selected in the Staff Layout.  The normal default font is Verdana, and I found that what was actually selected for font was "TtsNote Standard"    I have no idea how that happened, unless it was a new default in the latest Cakewalk update.  Anyways, I changed it back to Verdana and the weird stuff is gone now, but that didn't solve the original problem of the lyric mismatches between the Staff View and Lyrics View.   I hope that someone reads this thread who can suggest how to fix the mismatch.   I'd hate to delete my lyrics track to start over with that and end up with the same, or a similar, problem.   I did many lyric tracks previously, when using Sonar 6 Pro, and never ran into this problem.

2 minutes ago, Rick Rickoff said:

I just figured out the answer to the question I posed in my last previous post.  The objects seen below the staff were caused by the font selected in the Staff Layout.  The normal default font is Verdana, and I found that what was actually selected for font was "TtsNote Standard"    I have no idea how that happened, unless it was a new default in the latest Cakewalk update.  Anyways, I changed it back to Verdana and the weird stuff is gone now, but that didn't solve the original problem of the lyric mismatches between the Staff View and Lyrics View.   I hope that someone reads this thread who can suggest how to fix the mismatch.   I'd hate to delete my lyrics track to start over with that and end up with the same, or a similar, problem.   I did many lyric tracks previously, when using Sonar 6 Pro, and never ran into this problem.

yeah--I was just about to say it looks like a symbols font trying to type ascii or something

Can't help with lyrics issue, though; I only do notes in Staff View, not words.

Edited by User 905133

Thanks for the response, 905133.   I've been utilizing lyric tracks for at least 12 years now, and they are a great help when playing live.   When you're going to play somewhere between 20 and 30 songs at a gig, it's easy to forget some words here and there.  It's also a great help to add chord symbols above the staff where the changes occur.  Having both the chords symbols and lyrics in the Staff View makes practice of songs so much more productive.  In Lyrics View, you only see the lyrics arranged in lines from top to bottom of the Lyrics View window, but that's great for playing out live.  The only thing that moves is a blue highlight covering the current word in the lyrics.  Thus, a singer can quickly glance at the monitor and know precisely where they are at at any given moment.  In Staff View you see the current word shown in red text, while other words remain in black text.   I'd be a very happy camper if I could just get the Staff View and Lyrics View lyric words to agree. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Having same problem adding/revising Lyrics in either staff or Lyrics view.

It worked well in Sonar but Bandlab Cakewalk seems to have some real problems here. Hate to have to export into Sibelius or such.