Going to take my time

Leftenant Dano

I expressed my frustration yesterday at not being able to get Cakewalk up and running, but after some reflection, I realize that the computer I want to use CW on has some issues, and I have been working on getting them resolved.

That PC, which I received second-hand as a gift, has Windows 8 on it (it’s a 2012-vintage machine), and that may be the reason CW won’t start on it. One thing I saw said something about “VS2013” bring required. I did some checking, and this apparently refers to Microsoft Visual C++ Studio. Now, I’m not a programmer, and don’t want to have to bu some big development package. I wasn’t sure if the VS2013 requirement meant getting this whole big package, or just one file (driver?). I was able to download a package that said “Community Support”, but it’s the 2019 version and won’t run under Win 8.

Am I on the right track, or way off here? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Larry Jones said:

No reason a 2012 Windows 8 PC wouldn't work, as long as it's the 64-bit version. I'm using a machine at least that old, although it's running Win10. As I recall, though, there's an 8.1 update that you should get from Microsoft.

Agreed.   If you're on Windows 8, you need to take it all the way to 8.1, which is a free update, then install all available updates (You'll probably find that Visual C +, and other necessary libs/utilities  have been installed for you). 

Edited by JonD