[SOLVED] Is there a scrub tool in CbB?

Christian Jones

• 6 months later...

Trying the srub tool - pressing J and "marking" the track with the left mouse button - leads to "A dropout has stopped the Audio Engine (12)".

But "Realtek HD Audio" in this Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 running on Asio4All might not be the right audio solution.

I will try it on my Roland Quadcapture later.

😉

49 minutes ago, brandon said:

Did the scrub tool ever work on audio tracks? It doesnt now but i have a recollection from the earlier days that it did. It might be a useful addition.

It does work on audio tracks currently.  I tested it the other day.  Works on individual tracks or the whole mix.  Maybe you’re not doing it right?

When I double click on an audio clip it opens the waveform up (like when i double click on a midi clip it opens the midi notes in piano roll).  However I am not allowed to drag the audio like i am in piano roll view.  I cant for example move to the end of a piece of audio in audio view.  Hence I cannot then scrub it. I can do a sort of scrub in the clip itself but all that does is sets the track playing till it catches up with me. its not really scrubbing per se.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:11 PM, brandon said:

hi  -I have tried to work in in audio tacks the same way as  I do midi tracks. i.e. by holding down the J key while dragging with the mouse. Is this the correct way?

Push the j key once and then you are in scrub mode.

Move your mouse cursor over the notes while holding leftclick.

Another push on the j key takes you out of scrub mode.

Scrubbing is just hitting J then Left click the timeline or a point on a specific track and dragging across while holding your single left click.  It will play till the playhead reaches the mouse position. Sounds like you want it to keep looping, which is slightly different than scrubbing.  You should just select a portion in the timeline and use ‘L’ to loop instead.  

Don't double-click anything.

Online info says to "hold' the 'J' key but you don't have to.

Seems to me in pre-X series you could drag the mouse across a clip at different speeds in Scrub mode? Is that right?... 'cause you can't do that anymore.

15 hours ago, Blogospherianman said:

Scrubbing is just hitting J then Left click the timeline or a point on a specific track and dragging across while holding your single left click.  It will play till the playhead reaches the mouse position. Sounds like you want it to keep looping, which is slightly different than scrubbing.  You should just select a portion in the timeline and use ‘L’ to loop instead.  

Hi - no I dont want to loop it. i just want to scrub the audio waveform left or right fast or slow. There isnt anything allowing me to do that. I can do it ieasily in PRV with midi notes. Open up an audio view and scrub doesnt seem to exist.

6 minutes ago, brandon said:

Here is an example of my audio waveform below  -I cant do anything  with it at all.

That is the Loop Construction View. The Scrub Tool is for Track View. Hit J and then drag across the clip in track 12.

4 hours ago, Blogospherianman said:

Not sure why it’s not working for you. Works fine here, forwards, backwards, fast (normal speed) slow, much like a turntable.  🤔

Thant's how I remember it in Home Studio 9 & Sonar 8 but in CbB all it does is start play in normal speed forward & reverse until mouse button is released.

And it only plays audio, not MIDI.