Bama Coast

mark skinner

This is one I co wrote with a friend , pushed it down the list to redo, lost it in a crash and forgot about it.  I woke myself up this morning singing it. I found a copy of it on an old flash drive , ran it thru ozone and now surrendering it. Pretty sloppy but here it is.  I wanted to wait until my last song was off the page  but I feel compelled to post it now. I guess this cold front has made me feel like going further south.     mark      " Link Removed "   New link posted further down page.

Edited by mark skinner
removed previous link
  • Like 1

Mark

I shouldn't even be commenting on this forum since the hearing exam I had couple of weeks ago showed a marked decline in the speech frequency range.
Anyway, I like the song but it seemed to me that the vocal could be brought up a bit but maybe that can be explained by the previous sentence.

Not sure if you were going for a southern rock sound, but to me it has that kind of down home, country road feel to it. I have a theory about that sound and that's... add2 chords.  Something about those chords just brings it out. So just want to ask if you did indeed use add2 chords? Just say yes  😁

• Like 1

Loved the whole thang , I kept waiting for a chord change that didnt come and I´m so pleased it didnt (just shows how I´m pre-progammed verse chorus verse etc )I loved the southern, modern country, dare I say Doobie  feel , cow bell in the mix and shakers gave it a great groove ...guitars bloody great ....write some more of these please ..top man cheers

• Like 1

Agree with bjorn/gary, and the point about using compression to level the vocal, or, even better, a levelling amp rather than simply compressing it. I'd also like to hear the drums more distinctly, particularly the kick which is pretty buried in the mix. Everything else sounds very good!

Dan

• Like 2

Thanks guys , Paul  yes this is a simple one with only a few chords and one of the few I could pull off live.  Bjorn , I use add2 and suspended chords everywhere I can , but I don't have a clue what I was doing on the Tele.  Gary , I did bring the vocals up some with eq , would you use a multi band on this ?  Freq ?    Thanks ..  mark

On 1/27/2020 at 6:49 AM, dcumpian said:

I'd also like to hear the drums more distinctly

I agree, but, the tune carries itself, that bass line rocks! The guitars, simply great. Would I mix it differently, probably. But, this thing is a hit! The subtle secondary vocals, oh man. I don’t know why, but this thing screams Keb’ Mo’ and I don’t mean in a bad way. I mean real blues, real authentic blues. I don’t have nearly enough thumbs to rate this one. I am now officially a fan. 

t

• Like 1

I agree with Dan/Gary/Bjorn and I think we're talking just a hair louder on the vocals.

I feel this excel;lent groove song was mixed by the guitar player. Gosh durn those guitars are very well recorded, very tastefully played, artfully panned. They are also a smidge too loud in my opinion. The vocal is chasing the guitars and you might try it vocals>guitars.

It's a terrific song. Got B3?

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 2

I did some work on the final track ,  I think the vocals are standing out a lot better than they were , also tried to get the kick up some , bass came up a little with it but not bad.  I'm still searching for the main project file  , this may be a lost one.  Great comments and suggestions from everyone.  Let me know if I messed up this remix.  Thank You ..  mark    https://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/bama-coast-2

• Like 1

When work called me up to Tallahassee, I would try and take time to spend in FL's panhandle area which also goes by the nicknames "Redneck Riviera" and "L.A." (Lower Alabama).  This song describes this area also.  Great seafood, beaches, and fun people.  This song described it all.  Well done -- I enjoyed it!!

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 11:56 PM, mark skinner said:

This is one I co wrote with a friend , pushed it down the list to redo, lost it in a crash and forgot about it.  I woke myself up this morning singing it. I found a copy of it on an old flash drive , ran it thru ozone and now surrendering it. Pretty sloppy but here it is.  I wanted to wait until my last song was off the page  but I feel compelled to post it now. I guess this cold front has made me feel like going further south.     mark      " Link Removed "   New link posted further down page.

The whole thing was really slick ...loved the whole feel .. I could listen to it for ages and allways find something different in there ..nice

• Like 1