Turn Down All Tracks by X DBs

Jeremy Jensen

On 3/30/2020 at 1:41 PM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

It's entirely relevant as the principles are the same

It's entirely irrelevant because software should be designed to be used as software, and not limited artificially by how things were done before software. In today's world, sometimes people might find themselves in a situation where, either through their own stupidity or whatever else, they've turned everything up too loud. I was asking for a feature to make my life easier. If you wouldn't find it useful, all you have to do is say nothing. Again, what's wrong with you?

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 3:46 AM, chuckebaby said:

Id also like to add that, this is your feature request, I really hope I didn't sound like I disapprove or anything. Sometimes I can sound rather blunt in this feedback section. You have every right to request what ever feature you want.

Mark Morgon-Shaw, this is how to disagree with my feature without being a dick. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd add that there's a song I'm working on where three separate time I've had to go through and turn down every track by a significant number of DBs, and it's not because I'm an idiot. I think this would be a useful feature.

• Meh 1

Jeez. The vitriol in this thread....

It would be a handy feature. Although as many have said, there are several work arounds, most notably temp grouping and dragging the fader down, which won't work well with automation on the fader (unless you're in offset mode). Gain shouldn't be touched in this case. 

With the 64bit engine, you have essentially unlimited headroom, so as long as your tracks aren't blowing up (which even if they are, it's really just a visual issue), since you can gain down the master bus with zero degradation in quality. 

FWIW, before I mix ANY track, the first thing I do after finishing the writing (IE: when I'm done building the sync track), is bounce all instruments to audio tracks and drop all faders to infinity. Every mix I do starts with faders down and then I start leveling things out. If I have already balanced the guitars, i'll drop the subgroup bus instead, since I'm essentially mixing them back up from there. 

I encourage you to use a similar workflow, since this works extremely well. And make sure you're not peaking beyond -6 on any one track. -10 if you are working with a higher dynamic song. This gives you plenty of headroom and you can always easily gain it up on the master bus to feed your mastering plugins at the appropriate level. 

Cheers.  

• Great Idea 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/6/2020 at 5:22 PM, Josh Wolfer said:

With the 64bit engine, you have essentially unlimited headroom, so as long as your tracks aren't blowing up (which even if they are, it's really just a visual issue), since you can gain down the master bus with zero degradation in quality.

I'm curious. Is this demonstrated anywhere?

I'm asking since some people say it doesn't help to turn down the master bus if all the tracks adds up to clipping on the master bus.

A video that proves either way would be nice. Do you know one?

You can prove it yourself :)

Put in a WAV (anything will do really) and leave the track fader at 0dB. Ensure nothing is clipping anywhere, export.

Then crank your track up as far as you can go. It'll be peaking out into the red like crazy. Then on your master, drop it by exactly the same amount as you boosted it on the track. Export.

Drag in both files you exported to a new project, put them on different tracks, starting from exactly the same place, then flip the phase on one of them. You should get silence if they're identical. I just tried it then and my "ruined" track was boosted by 18dB on the Gain and 6db on the track Volume, but then I dropped the master by exactly those amounts. It nulled to complete silence for me.